No data on old external 2.5

pomkon

I have an old ide 2.5 external hdd, that connects to PC via mini USB. I cant remember if i had any data on it.

in the past the hdd  sometimes is not shown in MY computer, it requires some physical tweaking on the connection for it to be detected.

so the hdd is empty when it loads into my PC. How can i be sure it is not faulty, and lost my old data?

hd tune cannot show Smart data - N/A

temperature data N/A

quick error scan all green

You may want to try the drive with a different cable & in a different port and computer if possible, as it sounds like there may be some sort of physical connection issue. Drives that only show up sometimes can potentially be a telltale sign of a bad cable.

As farr as making sure there isn't old data still recoverable on the drive, this sounds like a situation when software recovery may be able to help, you can check out our DIY Recovery Software, or there are many 3rd party services which do this as well, you'd just have to research which other users in similar circumstances have had success with online.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming