HIgher temps than expected with NZXT G12, did I install it wrong?

Were these people referring to using shims on the 980 Ti?

A shim the size of the area you're marking wouldn't make a difference. If it were to be beneficial, the die would have to be recessed and the shim's purpose is to close the gap caused by the recess. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Were these people referring to using shims on the 980 Ti?

A shim the size of the area you're marking wouldn't make a difference. If it were to be beneficial, the die would have to be recessed and the shim's purpose is to close the gap caused by the recess. 

They were referring to using them on a 1080 or 980. I know the 980 has a 20mm HxW die. I'm just wondering if the full GPU die needs to be covered and if a copper shim larger than the die would be okay to use. 

Just now, Colty said:

They were referring to using them on a 1080 or 980. I know the 980 has a 20mm HxW die. I'm just wondering if the full GPU die needs to be covered and if a copper shim larger than the die would be okay to use. 

Covering the die is optimal and not doing so will significantly worsen cooling. A larger shim is fine as long as there aren't any raised obstructions around the die preventing full contact.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Covering the die is optimal and not doing so will significantly worsen cooling. A larger shim is fine as long as there aren't any raised obstructions around the die preventing full contact.

Alright, thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Have you solve it yet?

I've just installed the G12 with the Corsair H55 on my Gigabyte 1060 and it booted at 40 and reached 70 while gaming.

I don't know what I did wrong with this

Did you put thermal paste over the gpu die or enough to cover it.

provided you’ve secured it correctly  it should be pretty cool.

thats high temps on a 1060.

did you remove the film on the block. I’d check your thermal paste application.

if you left the vrm heat sink cover on the gpu that’s going to prevent the cooler touching the gpu die properly.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo