Random frame drops for no reason.

The_Stiggy_One

Struggling with random frame drops in game. I have tried Malwarebytes, Custom power profiles, cpu does not go above 60 degrees celcius and does not throttle, and quite a bit more. Please help.

CPU

Ryzen 7 1700x

Motherboard

Asrock Pro4 AB350M

RAM

GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB

GPU

Pallit GTX 1060 6GB

Case

NZXT S340

Storage

240GB WD Green m.2, 4TB Seagate Barracuda

PSU

Corsair CX550M

Cooling

NZXT Kraken X62

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit

Are all the drivers the newest, is windows the latest version?

Just now, Some Random Member said:

Are all the drivers the newest, is windows the latest version?

Yes, Yes.

Welcome to Ryzen lol. But seriously the 1700X doesn't play well with some games, Minecraft included. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Welcome to Ryzen lol. But seriously the 1700X doesn't play well with some games, Minecraft included. 

I know but this only started happening within the last month.

Just now, App4that said:

What?

I have never had this kinds of problems on my 1700, and belive it or not, i somehow have more fps on minecraft with optifine and shaderpacks my 1700 and 1070, than  my friend with a 7700k and a 1080. We put on all the same settings, shaders, optifine version etc, and still i somehow get more fps, which is very strange, as in theory he should get more.

Just now, The_Stiggy_One said:

I know but this only started happening within the last month.

I noticed issues with the last Windows update with my 1700X, I was running my system memory at 3200MHz, had to drop back to 2933. Might try re checking stability. 

2 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

What?

I have never had this kinds of problems on my 1700, and belive it or not, i somehow have more fps on minecraft with optifine and shaderpacks my 1700 and 1070, than  my friend with a 7700k and a 1080. We put on all the same settings, shaders, optifine version etc, and still i somehow get more fps, which is very strange, as in theory he should get more.

I run Minecraft both on Windows, and in VR. Because it only uses a few cores it can cause issues when using Ryzen. Or any CPU with slower single core performance. 

That said Fortnite shouldn't be an issue, Why I suspect the Windows update. 

Just now, App4that said:

I run Minecraft both on Windows, and in VR. Because it only uses a few cores it can cause issues when using Ryzen. Or any CPU with slower single core performance. 

If you use optifine there is the option of multicore rendering, which helps quite a lot.

If you use optifine there is the option of multicore rendering, which helps quite a lot.

Yeah, found it causes frame spikes in VR though, which made me sick. So Vanilla or bust. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

That said Fortnite shouldn't be an issue, Why I suspect the Windows update. 

ik im confused and i have no clue what is causing it. Also my friend is playing on 1800x and he has no issues.

I have tried that and it did not fix :(

Just now, App4that said:

Yeah, found it causes frame spikes in VR though, which made me sick. So Vanilla or bust. 

Interesting, do you use the latest Vivecraft VR? Because on my 1700 and 1070 it was buttery smooth, i could even put on the shaderpacks, so it looked good AF. 

1 minute ago, The_Stiggy_One said:

ik im confused and i have no clue what is causing it. Also my friend is playing on 1800x and he has no issues.

System to system. I have a freind with a 1700 that swears not to have some issues I have. Could be a lot of things. But checking stability is probably helpful here. 

Interesting, do you use the latest Vivecraft VR? Because on my 1700 and 1070 it was buttery smooth, i could even put on the shaderpacks, so it looked good AF. 

Yup. I'm VERY sensitive to framepacing though. My wife uses the 1700X in her rig because she never picks up on what I pick up on, even when not monitoring. Happens while panning (looking from side to side). 

To OP:

Check the stablility, so that the ram speed is right and there isn't anything funky in BIOS.

If it isn't a big hassle, maybe reinstall windows, that can help, but if you can't go to the control panel and watch over the list of all applications, and uninstall the ones you dont use/look suspicious.

Just now, App4that said:

Yup. I'm VERY sensitive to framepacing though. My wife uses the 1700X in her rig because she never picks up on what I pick up on, even when not monitoring. Happens while panning (looking from side to side). 

Well im very motion sick, can't even go on a swing without getting motion sick, so it is lucky that i can use vr at all, but my Vivecraft ran at 120 fps and there weren't any spikes or anything.

3 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

To OP:

Check the stablility, so that the ram speed is right and there isn't anything funky in BIOS.

If it isn't a big hassle, maybe reinstall windows, that can help, but if you can't go to the control panel and watch over the list of all applications, and uninstall the ones you dont use/look suspicious.

Ram is at correct speed, no suspicious programs but ill check again to make sure.

Well im very motion sick, can't even go on a swing without getting motion sick, so it is lucky that i can use vr at all, but my Vivecraft ran at 120 fps and there weren't any spikes or anything.

Hop in and put your hand out in front of you, then while keeping the position of your hand at the same point in your line of sight, turn at the hips quickly side to side. You'll see your hand leave ghosting lines, or worse multiply. Good way to test the performance in any VR game. This is completely removed using a CPU with a higher single core speed. 

Fortnite should be fine, why I suspect instability due to the last Windows update, updating the bios "can" help with it. Though I still wasn't able to raise my system memory to the same speed I had before. 

1 minute ago, The_Stiggy_One said:

Ram is at correct speed, no suspicious programs but ill check again to make sure.

What speed is that? My 3200HMz kit will not run at 3200MHz. The correct speed is the speed it's stable at. 

Just now, App4that said:

Hop in and put your hand out in front of you, then while keeping the position of your hand at the same point in your line of sight, turn at the hips quickly side to side. You'll see your hand leave ghosting lines, or worse multiply. Good way to test the performance in any VR game. This is completely removed using a CPU with a higher single core speed. 

Fortnite should be fine, why I suspect instability due to the last Windows update, updating the bios "can" help with it. Though I still wasn't able to raise my system memory to the same speed I had before. 

Imma update bios. See you on the other side guys. xD

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

What speed is that? My 3200HMz kit will not run at 3200MHz. The correct speed is the speed it's stable at. 

Just now, The_Stiggy_One said:

Damn, that really shouldn't be a problem then. Worst case try 2133 as that's the defalt