Windows 10 update resets start tiles

It seems that every time windows 10 decides to automatically reset and update my PC my start tiles get restored to default. 

The first time this happened, I began recreating all the shortcuts though it saved them as (1) meaning there's still a save state of them somewhere...

Does anyone know how to prevent Windows from resetting my start tiles each time? And is there a way to restore my preference? 

13 minutes ago, Kherm said:

is this Windows Update related or is this related to 'Reset this PC' ?

e68d2c01b9ac483a9c13d19f914fc378.png
https://gyazo.com/e68d2c01b9ac483a9c13d19f914fc378

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

4 minutes ago, Railgun said:

"every time windows 10 decides to automatically reset and update my PC" 

Is he talking about cumulative updates or feature updates (they're only 2x per year)? I need more information. I asked because every time you 'refresh' windows it wipes the Start Menu.  

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

1 hour ago, Kherm said:

"every time windows 10 decides to automatically reset and update my PC" 

Is he talking about cumulative updates or feature updates (they're only 2x per year)? I need more information. I asked because every time you 'refresh' windows it wipes the Start Menu.  

I was mostly just being sassy for the fun of it when I replied with the picture, but if he was doing a refresh or anything else he probably wouldn't have used the word update or stated that it was automatic. I don't really know why he included the word reset but it might be because in addition to his reset-esk issue, a Windows update typically has you go through a setup process afterwards which can invoke the feeling of starting over.

Sounds like the issue is simply that updating Windows causes the start menu to be reset. @Subterfudge we could use some more details please

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Sorry, I did mean *restart* (as in turn off and back on before windows update begins)

This occured 2 nights ago. My PC was on yesterday morning with all the programs I had running the night before closed down. The start menu tiles had restored to defult but everything else was as it was (backround, start orb, colour scheme, etc.) 

So I'm the only Win10 user who's start tiles are reset after certain Windows updates?