PC wont power on with GPU connected to power supply

Phat Beatsies

So I'm pretty confused by this one as at first I simply thought my graphics card had died but now I'm having some other issues.

My build: (previous)                        My build: (current)

Ryzen 1700x @ 3.8Ghz 1.42v       Ryzen 1700x @ 3.8Ghz 1.42v

Gigabyte x370 gaming k7 (F9a)     Gigabyte x370 gaming k7 (F9a)

2x EVGA 980 4GB                         EVGA 980 4GB

Corsair CX750M                            Corsair CX750M

Corsair M500P                               Corsair M500P

Seagate Barracuda 3TB                Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Cooler Master MA610P                 Cooler Master MA610P

4x Corsair ML 120 RGB                4x Corsair ML 120 RGB

So I was in the middle of an overwatch game when all of the sudden my computer just turned off. At first, I thought it overheated so I let it sit. When I smelled it smelled exactly like a hair dryer (normally doesn't after shut off). The tried to turn it on but only heard a click in the power supply and that was it. So I did standard troubleshooting pci-e slot switch, ram slot switch, one graphics card at a time, plugged in not plugged in all of that. It ended up being whenever I plugged in graphics card A to the power supply it just did the one click and didn't turn on. So I figured it must be a dead card, pulled it out and put the other one in just solo. Well after running just one card now I can't overclock my CPU anymore, either I'll get into windows for literally 2-3 seconds then reboot, or the thing will just boot loop until it resets the bios itself.

Honestly, I'm really confused with this and have no idea whats going on. I know I was pushing the power supply with a 1700x overclocked and 2 980's but I'm honestly just hoping its one or the other and not both. I'm going to take a better look at the card in a few days and see if its just the card or the power supply. If anyone can help please let me know.

Even with an overclocked CPU, the CX750 Shouldn't have blown up. I would recommend either taking it in for repair, or if you want to try it yourself, see if you can get a GPU that doesn't require external power, only powered through the PCIe connection. I had an issue with a 8-pin shorting and annihilating the cable. Your 980 is probably fine, but just to be safe, I'd recommend taking it in for repair as PSUs are obviously very dangerous and can kill you, soo yeah.

reseat heatsinks with new thermal paste and run some thermal monitoring......its summer time

5 minutes ago, jools said:

or try new mobo battery cr2032

When a PSU has let out its magic smoke, I wouldn't look at thermal paste personally ;) 

34 minutes ago, Darkworld Siege said:

Honestly, I'm really confused with this and have no idea whats going on. I know I was pushing the power supply with a 1700x overclocked and 2 980's but I'm honestly just hoping its one or the other and not both. I'm going to take a better look at the card in a few days and see if its just the card or the power supply. If anyone can help please let me know.

It's likely a bad PSU that's triggering a protection mechanism because a component inside it went kaput and now it can't handle the current the PC is requiring anymore. I wouldn't even turn the PC on anymore until you've tried another PSU. I'd also consider going up in quality by going for a Seasonic Focus Plus (either gold or platinum) around the 750-850W mark.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Try new/swapped PSU. I had similar happen, and it was the fan/dust got stuck and blew the PSU... So even quality components can fail due to unforeseen occurrences.

The power supply is only relay a 650 watt. 

Your over heating protection probably kicked in shouting your pc off because they only rate your psu to handle 42C before shouting off.

I would may be chest getting decent PSU.

if you want to read more in to detail about your unite here the link http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=486    

No, it is 750w... but depends on load and age: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-cx750m-psu,review-33717.html

Ok, I take that back. TomsHardware shows the rating wattage, you've got the actual load. Yep. You are right. Stupid "marketing".

Hmmm... seems it is a 750w, can handle the load, but has a stupid lack of cooling and/or thermal cut off at the wrong setting... So we are kinda both right. :D

Hey thanks guys for all of the replys so after testing alittle more when I tried testing the dead card I literally heard something sizzle. And some resistor is now fryed (photo attached). So I'm sure that's dead and I'm pretty sure you guys are right this power supply is probably gone too. Both of these parts are 5 years old so they're probably at end of life cycle. Just sucks that both had to go at once

IMG_20180423_171514.jpg

Hey so don't know if anyone's still here but I'm starting to have issues with the computer again now I'm getting a BSOD almost every 7 mins after startup IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL-TO.