High CPU usage, Audio cracking and stuttering HELP

My current setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8p2gJ8

Peripherals: Logitech c920, blue snowball, xbox wireless controller adapter, 3 oculus sensors, oculus rift, keyboard, and mouse

Hey, I have constant audio stuttering and sometimes static, and in discord my audio has often completely dropped until i update my output device then I am able to hear again. Once my audio lagged so much that reletek completely disconnected and reconnected my audio device and it pulled up this as if I just physically plugged in my headphones:

image.png.e0c8c3b1047408b4cc4043157cc6b87d.png

I have troubleshooted a bit and my cpu usage is unreasonably high while doing nearly anything. While playing fortnite at all lowest settings and having 3D resolution at <1280x720 my cpu is at 99%. And today I turned every setting to low and 3D resolution to the lowest it can go, but my CPU usage did not change:unknown.png I have also looked into the audio problem and when using LatencyMon, it shows that my computer is not suitable for real-time audio even on idle showing this:

image.png.300c234e3b2f1ebe0b27418156a36160.png

Latencymon suggested checking all drivers and I have updated all drivers including bios drivers. But power management I'm assuming that is referring to my PSU not having enough wattage to support my system. I am not sure how much power the whole oculus system requires, but that may be the cause. On idle my CPU runs at about 30-40% and my temps according to Speccy are fine. All are below 40C on idle; under load, the CPU creeps to around 70C. I also used AIDA64 to check for any throttling and my CPU did much better than I expected no thermal throttling under a 100% load for ~15 min. But right when I stress tested my GPU the computer was lagging horribly and I was unable to even stop the test because of how laggy it was.

In summary: CPU is often at 100% when doing lite activities or playing games at the lowest possible settings, no thermal throttling, system is having trouble handling real time audio and frequently has pops or stutters from 1-6 seconds and sometimes will completely disable and re enable my audio device after a large audio stutter. The 6500 is still under Intel's 3 year warranty so I can RMA it if needed. Another problem might be the 450W power supply, though pcpartpicker says its fine, my accessories may draw too much power. Please leave any suggestions, or tests thanks.

EDIT: Also while watching Twitch streams the CPU is always around 40% while using a browser, but using a program that streams it to a video player on your computer only uses about 4%. Idle on any browser is ~25%

Screen-shotting your process monitor to show usage, while not sorting your processes by usage is useless, sort it so it can actually give us some information. If your computer is using too much resources while doing seemingly nothing, that's when my malware alarm goes off, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a crypto miner lurking in your system somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Sack said:

Screen-shotting your process monitor to show usage, while not sorting your processes by usage is useless, sort it so it can actually give us some information. If your computer is using too much resources while doing seemingly nothing, that's when my malware alarm goes off, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a crypto miner lurking in your system somewhere.

Right. I have done some virus scans recently, I will do a malwarebytes and AVG scan today, but to me my processes look fine

image.png.8eedfa2f47125001c16460151c1d1ca1.png

8 minutes ago, BlackoutBae said:

Right. I have done some virus scans recently, I will do a malwarebytes and AVG scan today, but to me my processes look fine

Quick math gets me to about 92% usage from the majour applications here, I guess Fortnite is still the unoptimised pos I've heard it is.

Edit: I guess you'll just have to close everything else besides the game down and try like that. Try playing the game in full screen, non-windowed mode.

Just now, Sack said:

Quick math gets me to about 92% usage from the majour applications here, I guess Fortnite is still the unoptimised pos I've heard it is.

Yeah and that is at the main menu 

6 hours ago, BlackoutBae said:

bump

You may try turning the graphics settings up, since turning them down takes load off of your GPU and puts more load on your CPU.

You have turned off all power saving in the BIOS/UEFI and Windows Power Options in Control Panel right? Also make sure BIOS/UEFI, Windows and drivers are all up to date.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

9 hours ago, Husky said:

You may try turning the graphics settings up, since turning them down takes load off of your GPU and puts more load on your CPU.

You have turned off all power saving in the BIOS/UEFI and Windows Power Options in Control Panel right? Also make sure BIOS/UEFI, Windows and drivers are all up to date.

That's only valid if you use a laptop with intel graphics. Any desktop will always put the graphics strain on the GPU, never the CPU.

Edit: That is to say, it won't put extra strain on the CPU any more than there already is.

18 hours ago, Sack said:

That's only valid if you use a laptop with intel graphics. Any desktop will always put the graphics strain on the GPU, never the CPU.

Edit: That is to say, it won't put extra strain on the CPU any more than there already is.

If the graphics settings are high, the GPU has to work harder to render each frame which reduces the frame rate which makes the CPU work less since it doesn’t have to perform physics and other game calculations as quickly since the frame rate is lower. The GPU is now the bottleneck (which is good in most cases) and is probably at around 100% while the CPU can chill around 50 - 60% as it is waiting on the GPU to finish rendering its frame so that it can send it more data for the next frames (example).

If the graphics settings are lowered, the GPU doesn’t have to work as hard to render each frame which increases the frame rate which will increase the load on the CPU since it has to perform more physics and other game calculations to keep up with the GPU and manage to provide it with enough data fast enough to keep it “fed” with data. The CPU is now the bottleneck (which is bad in most situations) and is probably at or around 100% while the GPU is chilling and “waiting” for data from the CPU so that it can complete its task.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

On 4/24/2018 at 11:01 AM, Husky said:

If the graphics settings are high, the GPU has to work harder to render each frame which reduces the frame rate which makes the CPU work less since it doesn’t have to perform physics and other game calculations as quickly since the frame rate is lower. The GPU is now the bottleneck (which is good in most cases) and is probably at around 100% while the CPU can chill around 50 - 60% as it is waiting on the GPU to finish rendering its frame so that it can send it more data for the next frames (example).

If the graphics settings are lowered, the GPU doesn’t have to work as hard to render each frame which increases the frame rate which will increase the load on the CPU since it has to perform more physics and other game calculations to keep up with the GPU and manage to provide it with enough data fast enough to keep it “fed” with data. The CPU is now the bottleneck (which is bad in most situations) and is probably at or around 100% while the GPU is chilling and “waiting” for data from the CPU so that it can complete its task.

Physics calculations are done by the GPU nowadays, there's a reason why scientists use GPU farms and are also struggling because of GPU prices, instead of using CPU farms.

Edit: I just realised I'm old and physics calculations have been done by the GPU since probably 10 years ago.