Changing fans on Fractal design Celsius s36

Hello,

I will try and keep this as short as possible, i tend to write too much.

I have a Fractal design Celsius s36 on my Ryzen 1600 ( i know its probably overkill) and its doing just fine. idle temps are around 23c and when gaming at 33c when using silent curve via program. But since i bought the case used, the 4 fans are about to die. The 140mm as exhaust is definetly dying, so i supose the x3 120mm will aswell (case is nzxt h440).  So i thought i might aswell put new fans in the case, but why not just change the radiator fans with something even better, and use the radiator fans as case fans instead. I found these fans - corsair ml120 premium (probably overkill too) and theyre selling for 28usd as single and 33usd as 2pack for some odd reason, so why not just buy these. Great fans. Magnetic bearing too.

Issue is i dont know if the built in hub for celsius s36 is going to be enough to run these 3 fans. Currently the x2-gp12 fans are connected to the hub on the radiator, and the radiator to CPU_FAN. I also contacted Fractal and they said my board is able to deliver 12w and the whole AIO uses 10W at max, thus why i bought the AIO.

the x2-gp12 on fractals webpage is 3pin and 0.18 A / 1.32 W. But i my fans are 4pin since the AIO Is PMW ? The hub is also 4pin, and theres no specification for these 4pin fans although the name is the same as 3pin fans?

the ml120 premium is 4pin and 0.225 A / cant find W usage, but volt usage is 10.8 - 13.2 on their webpage? isnt the voltage only up to 12v on motherboard thingy? i dont know much about these things.

Furthermore, the AIO pump itself is 0.15 A without fans and rated at 9W with fans.

I wont be running max obviously, i never do, but its pretty risky if i might short stuff out or draw too much power, dont want to risk anything. Will these 3 fit instead of the 3 x2-gp12 fans if i replace them?

thanks for answers in advance.

specs:

Asus rog strix b350-f gaming

asus gtx 1060 3gb dual oc

Ryzen 1600

ballistix 2x4gb 2666mhz

120gb SSD x2

500gb HDD  x1

You should be fine

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

You should be fine

so making a rough calculation, 0,225x3 + 0,15 = 0,825A. So no worries?

3 hours ago, k96 said:

so making a rough calculation, 0,225x3 + 0,15 = 0,825A. So no worries?

Should work aok.  I'd personally pick up some gentle typhoons or noiseblocker eloops though.  

P.S. the 2 pack are non pro ML120's

20 hours ago, Damascus said:

Should work aok.  I'd personally pick up some gentle typhoons or noiseblocker eloops though.  

P.S. the 2 pack are non pro ML120's

yea i searched the difference, the premium is grey where the pro is black. Don't really matter to me as you cant see them anyways, aslong as they work im happy :)

1 hour ago, k96 said:

yea i searched the difference, the premium is grey where the pro is black. Don't really matter to me as you cant see them anyways, aslong as they work im happy :)

The premium come in black, white led, blue led or red led and have sound dampening mounts.

really recommend the two I listed, I have an ml120 pro and never use it because my GT's are so good

Corsair ML are great fans, just keep in mind that you MUST use PWM control and not voltage to chenge their speed.

Other good fans would be the Noctua NF-F12.

On 22.4.2018 at 9:45 PM, Damascus said:

The premium come in black, white led, blue led or red led and have sound dampening mounts.

really recommend the two I listed, I have an ml120 pro and never use it because my GT's are so good

yea, i looked them up, but theres no way i could buy them, unless i do it through amazon or ebay, which will end up costing me twice because of the tax and shipping. Though they have pretty nice specifications.

On 23.4.2018 at 8:37 AM, Dschijn said:

Corsair ML are great fans, just keep in mind that you MUST use PWM control and not voltage to chenge their speed.

Other good fans would be the Noctua NF-F12.

yea i have my AIO on PWM mode, i just found it really weird that the AIO and fans + hub are all 4pin PWM but in the description its being sold as 3pin when you search up the fans.

I also looked at noctua fans, but they basically cost the same as a 2pack for ml120 fans, which i find odd, because 1 ml120 costs as much as 1 similar specced noctua, well well.

3 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

The 2 pack ML fans are indeed a great deal!

yea, + my 140mm exhaust fan at the back is acting up so im assuming its going to die, so i can use that last fan from the 4 pack to my exhaust and 3 on AIO.works out great :)

• 9 months later...

@k96 did you end up changing out the fans - how did you go?
I am thinking of maybe doing the same, as I find the ones that comes with the s36 are a litte on the loud side for my taste.