Need help deciding on new system specs

Hi everyone,

i am planning out a new build and I am looking for advice for the cpu platform that I base it on. I am an engineering student so I do Libra of cad and computational simulation which benefit from multithreaded performance. But also need this pc to be able to game. Would the core i7/i9 be better for this or would amd rysen 2 be better ? Currently running an old amd 8core without hyper threading. 

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Threadripper would be better than core i9.

Ryzen 7 would usually be better than i7 in multi threaded workloads but it would perform worse in games.

If you have the budget Threadripper plus a quadro. Specifically im talking about the 1920x which ahs great value or the 1950x. The 1900x isnt worth it.

I9 is good but threadripper beats every i9 except for the 2000 dollar i9 which is double its price and only beats it by a little bit.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

If computational multithreading is what you are chasing after, the 2700x and Threadripper series offers immense computing power for the money.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

The rx580 and vega lineup beat all of nvidias geforce cards. The p1000-p6000 are the best options. Even the p1000 is great as seen in this video.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Just now, Vandorlot said:

Threadripper would be better than core i9.

Ryzen 7 would usually be better than i7 in multi threaded workloads but it would perform worse in games.

If you have the budget Threadripper plus a quadro. Specifically im talking about the 1920x which ahs great value or the 1950x. The 1900x isnt worth it.

I9 is good but threadripper beats every i9 except for the 2000 dollar i9 which is double its price and only beats it by a little bit.

Ehh, 10-12% gaming difference isn't really that bad and is a definite improvement over 1st gen Ryzen. I hate when people say "Ryzen sucks for gaming" because it really doesn't. Especially with the launch of the 2000 series, the gap between Intel and AMD has narrowed quite well.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

5 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

Ehh, 10-12% gaming difference isn't really that bad and is a definite improvement over 1st gen Ryzen. I hate when people say "Ryzen sucks for gaming" because it really doesn't. Especially with the launch of the 2000 series, the gap between Intel and AMD has narrowed quite well.

First off I agree completly with you on the gaming difference part, it isn't far behind but it is still worse. Also the 2000 series has a pretty small performance increase over 1st gen. I hope 3rd gen has a bigger improvment and that it will be supported on b350 boards so I can upgrade. It is called ryzen 2 instead of ryzen plus so I have my hopes up.

My Rig

Peripherals

17 minutes ago, gareththomas said:

Hi everyone,

i am planning out a new build and I am looking for advice for the cpu platform that I base it on. I am an engineering student so I do Libra of cad and computational simulation which benefit from multithreaded performance. But also need this pc to be able to game. Would the core i7/i9 be better for this or would amd rysen 2 be better ? Currently running an old amd 8core without hyper threading. 

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Are the programs you are using truely capable of taking advantage of 12+ cores?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

the main CFD program i use is ANSYS which can utilise 12+ cores but i think going to thread ripper might be a tad over kill. Hence the thought to go Ryzen.