1600 or 2600 + upgrading

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

I would just get the 1600 with a better GPU.

Also you likely won't need an upgrade in just one year, depending on what GPU you get, it should last you a fair few years.

So after watching a video here (from Hardware Canucks), I'm not convinced I should buy a 2600 over the 1600 and a B350 motherboard. I feel like the differences in real world performance are so minimal there isn't much of a point, especially with an 800-900$ budget. I won't be able to get that good of a GPU if I go with the 2600 because of the price bumps from the the 1600. So my question is, should I get the 1600/1600X with a better GPU than I could have gotten if I got a 2600 and maybe upgrade to Zen 2/Ryzen 3 next year or should I get the 2600 now and just wait like 2 years before upgrading?

I'm kinda feeling the 1600 + better GPU and upgrade in 1 year. In all honesty, the clock speeds and the performance in games that the 1600 gives is something that I'm fine with and is still a tremendous upgrade over what I've been using for sometime, so I really wouldn't mind waiting like an extra 30 seconds for a video to render rather then the huge times I deal with now. 

Also you likely won't need an upgrade in just one year, depending on what GPU you get, it should last you a fair few years.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

True... To be honest I don't think the Zen architecture to Zen + is that big of a difference to give like even 20% more real world performance... Any idea what GPU I should get? I currently have an RX 560 chosen out which is a very good price atm with all prices inflated... I could get a 1050Ti instead but I kinda want to get the 560 for now (which will be plenty compared to the iGPU I currently I have) and then get a better GPU when prices get back to normal. Maybe a 1060/1070/RX 570.  

10 minutes ago, HayHay said:

True... To be honest I don't think the Zen architecture to Zen + is that big of a difference to give like even 20% more real world performance... Any idea what GPU I should get? I currently have an RX 560 chosen out which is a very good price atm with all prices inflated... I could get a 1050Ti instead but I kinda want to get the 560 for now (which will be plenty compared to the iGPU I currently I have) and then get a better GPU when prices get back to normal. Maybe a 1060/1070/RX 570.  

I believe the highest end GPU you could get that the 1600 won't bottleneck is a GTX 1080(not 100% sure about the 1080Ti).

From what I've seen, Zen+ is basically Zen with slightly higher clocks and slightly better IPC. Not enough difference to merit a real upgrade IMO. You can get 1060 3Gb cards for closer and closer to MSRP every day, I would look into those.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I believe the highest end GPU you could get that the 1600 won't bottleneck is a GTX 1080(not 100% sure about the 1080Ti).

From what I've seen, Zen+ is basically Zen with slightly higher clocks and slightly better IPC. Not enough difference to merit a real upgrade IMO. You can get 1060 3Gb cards for closer and closer to MSRP every day, I would look into those.

On second thought, I'm going to stick with the (relatively) cheap RX 560 and get an NVMe drive which would be much faster for video editing compared to the HDD I was planning to get and upgrade ram speeds a bit. Ryzen is dependent on ram and I don't plan to do much gaming so there isn't much use for a 1060 at the moment.