8700k Cooling

markusvar97

in a bundle i saw this offer and i'm considring it but is it a good deal? 8700k and a Corsair Hydro Series H55

You'd be better off with a Noctua NH-D15 or bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 in terms of cooling, but the H55 is a pretty nice cooler.

Up until today, I used to have one(sold it to my friend lol).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The H55 is a weak, overpriced, and old cooler that no one should buy. If you want to get serious with an 8700k, you need a really decent heatsink (think Scythe Mugen 5, Noctua NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4, etc) or a 240mm AIO as a minimum in order to keep temps down. 120mm AIO's only make sense in compact systems that don't have adequate airflow for aircooling.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

@Crunchy Dragon Isn't the H55 pretty old and gets outperformed by cheaper air coolers though?

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

Just now, SpencerC said:

@Crunchy Dragon Isn't the H55 pretty old and gets outperformed by cheaper air coolers though?

It is pretty old, but either of the air coolers I mentioned will outperform it. I'm pretty sure a Hyper 212 wouldn't outperform it.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It is pretty old, but either of the air coolers I mentioned will outperform it. I'm pretty sure a Hyper 212 wouldn't outperform it.

If you put a proper fan on the 212, perhaps.

1 minute ago, SpencerC said:

If you put a proper fan on the 212, perhaps.

*shrug*

With the cost of the 212 and the cost of a proper fan, you might as well just shell out for a better air cooler honestly.

specs: 8700k, MSI Z370-A Pro Socket-1151, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Silent.

and as for cooling I went with Noctua NH-U12S

did I make the right choice or sholud I change that up

Yes.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

5 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Yes.

oh ok thanks, anything else you want to add other wise have a good day

1 minute ago, markusvar97 said:

oh ok thanks, anything else you want to add other wise have a good day

I wish I had a 1080. Aside from that, nothin. lol

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

7 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

I wish I had a 1080. Aside from that, nothin. lol

hahaha, well i had to save up for that one and still it wasent enough for the ti beacuse of the market 

1 hour ago, markusvar97 said:

specs: 8700k, MSI Z370-A Pro Socket-1151, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Silent.

The U12S is fine, I would also recommend looking at the Scythe Mugen 5. So much cooling power for the price, and silent too!

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It depends on the case airflow and where the H55 is mounted. There are instances that can be found online of improving temps when moving to the 212 Evo from the H55 and vice-versa.

1 hour ago, markusvar97 said:

The NH-U12S is generally hard to go wrong with.

That being said, there might be a better alternative for the money if you haven't already bought it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on the case airflow and where the H55 is mounted. There are instances that can be found online of improving temps when moving to the 212 Evo from the H55 and vice-versa.

The NH-U12S is generally hard to go wrong with.

That being said, there might be a better alternative for the money if you haven't already bought it.

I have not please tell

I have not please tell

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

sweden. and budget I have none

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

if you want to know my specs so we know that it will fit

Just now, markusvar97 said:

if you want to know my specs so we know that it will fit

Your specs were already mentioned above. Your threads were merged--please don't make multiple threads for the same discussion.

If you want to save some money, the Kotetsu will provide similar performance to the NH-U12S: https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=2402821

For more performance at a similar price, Mugen 5 Rev. B: https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=4390170

If you went with Noctua for the better warranty and ease of installation, you can stick with the NH-U12S. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your specs were already mentioned above. Your threads were merged--please don't make multiple threads for the same discussion.

If you want to save some money, the Kotetsu will provide similar performance to the NH-U12S: https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=2402821

For more performance at a similar price, Mugen 5 Rev. B: https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=4390170

If you went with Noctua for the better warranty and ease of installation, you can stick with the NH-U12S. 

alright thank you, and sorry about that

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

what about water cooling in the rear mount (single radiator)?

what about water cooling in the rear mount (single radiator)?

What about it? There's nothing special about liquid cooling. 

As far as getting performance for your money and keeping noise low, I didn't see any competitive liquid coolers. 

FYI, you can use the Edit button add more info to a post instead of making another one.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What about it? There's nothing special about liquid cooling. 

As far as getting performance for your money and keeping noise low, I didn't see any competitive liquid coolers. 

FYI, you can use the Edit button add more info to a post instead of making another one.

thanks for the tip.

but is there no good water cooling solution? or is it just in value (bang for the buck)

Edited by markusvar97