New to building, which cooler?

I'm in the process of purchasing all the parts for my first gaming PC, and looking at buying an aftermarket CPU cooler.

For background, I'll be getting a Asus ROG STRIX B350-F mother board paired with a Ryzen 5 1600, which comes with a Wraith Spire cooler which I understand is pretty good for a stock cooler. I intend to overclock the CPU, try and get the most out of my hardware, and I've got the ability to get a used Noctua NH-D14 for cheap. I know I'll also have to buy some thermal paste, and probably some alcohol (?) to clean it up before hand which will add a bit more cost/time/effort, and would need an NM-AM4 Mounting-Kit.

My question if anyone can advise, is the NH-D14 significantly better than the stock Wraith Spire? 

(also case will be NZTX S340 Elite, and graphics card GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1060 G1)

Thanks

13 minutes ago, OllieJ_ said:

My question if anyone can advise, is the NH-D14 significantly better than the stock Wraith Spire? 

I don't know about overclocking potential but the NH-D14 will be way more silent than the Wraith Spire.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

What price are you getting the NH-D14 for? Where are you shopping/located?

The NH-D14 is much better than the Spire but the stock cooler should be enough for a mild to moderate oc depending on your luck. If you haven't already, you should see how far you can push your cpu with the stock cooler to see if it's worth replacing.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Since you would be buying cooler second-hand, you can't get mounting kit for free. So (if you are in US), it will be ~$15 for mounting hardware and thermal paste added to used price of cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv