OLED or Nanocell

MekaStrix

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a larger tv as I currently have a 43" UHD tv which is a little small for my viewing distance.

I trying to decide between OLED and Nano Cell I was set on the OLED until I saw all these reviews about banding and screen retention and so looked in to nano cell which is apparently almost as good just not in terms of contrast but still hesitant in terms of pricing the nano cell is £719 for the 55" and the OLED is £1198 for the 55"

Does OLED really suffer with these problems and are they common issues. 

The picture on a TV changes so often, that burn in isn't really an issue anymore, especially because the panels are getting better and better.

And even if you have burn-in, you won't necessarily notice it.

When it comes to banding I have yet to find a panel with that issue.

I mean just look at OLED TVs in a shop for example - they are running at least 8 hours a day for multiple months and yet I have not seen a single one with any issues.

I think if you are using the TV for only a couple of hours a day, then it definitly won't be a problem, as long as it is a somewhat new and high quality model.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

The picture on a TV changes so often, that burn in isn't really an issue anymore, especially because the panels are getting better and better.

And even if you have burn-in, you won't necessarily notice it.

When it comes to banding I have yet to find a panel with that issue.

I mean just look at OLED TVs in a shop for example - they are running at least 8 hours a day for multiple months and yet I have not seen a single one with any issues.

True I don't think TV shops turn them off tbh the ones in super markets run 24 hours a day for a whole year until they are replaced with new models and we are talking cheaper brands as well that live up to the test not OLED of course but still just shows they can cope with constant use so I guess a lot of the retention issue comes back from early models i've ordered the B7 at the moment from LG I know the B8 is coming but the 2017 models have a massive discount for this reason plus I was given an extra 20% off with a voucher so wont get it cheaper the Nano Cell did look enticing though at about 400 cheaper only thing it can't do is as good contrast and deep shades 

Every OLED TV I've seen, including my own 2017 model has some level of banding if you look close enough - but to be honest you don't notice it unless you're on a fairly uniformly grey scene (dark cloud for example). Others watching my TV don't notice it but I find myself looking for it and then cursing LG for all the money I spent.

OLED definitely isn't perfect, but the picture difference for me was worth the fairly unnoticeable banding, and I've never had an issue with any lasting screen burn (sometimes I've had it for a short period of time when I've had a bright static image on the screen for some time), a relative with a 2016 model has it quite badly though so it's not impossible - again you can't see it when it's in normal use from a normal distance though.

I can't recommend OLED enough, I'm so glad I made the switch, even if my bank balance wasn't so impressed!

4 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

True I don't think TV shops turn them off tbh the ones in super markets run 24 hours a day for a whole year until they are replaced with new models and we are talking cheaper brands as well that live up to the test not OLED of course but still just shows they can cope with constant use so I guess a lot of the retention issue comes back from early models i've ordered the B7 at the moment from LG I know the B8 is coming but the 2017 models have a massive discount for this reason plus I was given an extra 20% off with a voucher so wont get it cheaper the Nano Cell did look enticing though at about 400 cheaper only thing it can't do is as good contrast and deep shades 

I worked in retail and we had our TVs running for 14 hours a day (8:00 - 22:00) and each of them at least 2-3 months.

1 minute ago, jt999 said:

Every OLED TV I've seen, including my own 2017 model has some level of banding if you look close enough - but to be honest you don't notice it unless you're on a fairly uniformly grey scene (dark cloud for example). Others watching my TV don't notice it but I find myself looking for it and then cursing LG for all the money I spent.

OLED definitely isn't perfect, but the picture difference for me was worth the fairly unnoticeable banding, and I've never had an issue with any lasting screen burn (sometimes I've had it for a short period of time when I've had a bright static image on the screen for some time), a relative with a 2016 model has it quite badly though so it's not impossible - again you can't see it when it's in normal use from a normal distance though.

I can't recommend OLED enough, I'm so glad I made the switch, even if my bank balance wasn't so impressed!

It will mostly use it for movies and pairing it with my LG 5.1 cinema sound system of which my current 43" doesn't do justice as the sound is immersive but the TV is a bit too small at 3.5 meter viewing distance 

3 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

It will mostly use it for movies and pairing it with my LG 5.1 cinema sound system of which my current 43" doesn't do justice as the sound is immersive but the TV is a bit too small at 3.5 meter viewing distance 

Mines around 3m viewing distance, and a 65" screen, it's a bit big if I'm honest and dominates the room but you get used to it. A nice 55" would be my preference at that distance.

Movies look fantastic on mine which was the reason I chose it with the OLED screen, but if you choose nanocell I'm sure you won't be disappointed, TVs have come a long way!

1 minute ago, jt999 said:

Mines around 3m viewing distance, and a 65" screen, it's a bit big if I'm honest and dominates the room but you get used to it. A nice 55" would be my preference at that distance.

Movies look fantastic on mine which was the reason I chose it with the OLED screen, but if you choose nanocell I'm sure you won't be disappointed, TVs have come a long way!

I've gone with the B7 the extra 400 should be well worth it I like the idea of deeper contrast my current tv always has a slight glow bottom and top black bars when watching movies but then it's not very uniform in back light it's a higher end LG 43" 

2 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I've gone with the B7 the extra 400 should be well worth it I like the idea of deeper contrast my current tv always has a slight glow bottom and top black bars when watching movies but then it's not very uniform in back light it's a higher end LG 43" 

I have the OLED65B7V, I actually wanted the C but they have the same screen and processing so it wasn't worth the extra cash. I hope you're happy with your new purchase! I found the Dolby Atmos app and demos on it show just how good it can be, so recommend playing with that when you get it :)