Connecting ASUS RT-AC1200G+ wireless router to a tablet (use tablet to provide internet to router and devices connected to it)

3Dgeo

Hi,

I can easily use tablet as an access point with my laptop, this is not what I need.

My workstation, NAS and couple of servers connected to ASUS RT-AC1200G+ via cables.
I need to access NAS with my laptop as well (via WIFI local network), but usually I use my laptops wifi to connect to tablet  and I was wondering is there a way to connect my router to tablet, so tablet would provide internet to entire network (please skip "You should just get a proper internet", it's a can of worms that I'm not gonna dig in here.. :D ).

Usually I google crap out of my problem and solve it, but in this case all I can find is people who can't connect tablet to a router...
It seems this video is heading the right way, but I still can't get it to work, I never encounter concept of connecting router itself to something.
Router OS is the same as used in that video.

Please help, thank You in advance.

Good day, GG

cant you just connect the tablet with usb and share the connection?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

what do you use to create an AP on your tablet? i always tried to do that and it never worked properly, is there an app

So, you want your tablet to become an access point?

Why not just connect your tablet to your router?

What kind of setup or benefit are you trying to achieve?

he wants the tablet to be the source of internet and the router to spread it to other devices...

this router supports 3G/4G sharing so i think it should be enough to connect tablet to router with usb and turn on internet sharing

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-use-3g-4g-usb-modem-on-asus-router.30833/

https://blog.jigsawpieces.me/2015/02/27/how-to-tether-an-android-phone-to-an-asus-rt-n56u-router/

You could make your tablet an access point and then use the router in wireless bridge mode.  

The downside to this is that the tablet will have to assign IP addresses, which will be inconvenient.

Alternatively, you could try to use the asus router to connect to the tablet in repeater bridge mode, but then you'll have another NAT to go through.

Oh I get it that would be easy

Enable tethering on your tablet, and set your router to pick up DHCP over Wireless

depends on your menu it should be similar like setting up a repeater.

CropImage.png.36122752848b06518561d632fada89a6.png

After you set dhcp over wireless, usually new menu will appear, you need to scan wireless that you want to connect, and input the password, and done.

CropImage.png.d37b20f5277b71bd6bfd94ae317f9a48.png

1. Wire tablet/laptop, laptop/router, router/laptop is not convenient, I need wireless solution.
2. Tablet (android) has built in menu for AP (separate from Wifi menu).
3. Router supports 3G/4G USB dongle, but cable isn't a solution and I don't feel like spending up to 100USD for descent 4G dongle.

router supports android phone tethered over usb, how about try one of the links provided

29 minutes ago, hooraah said:

You could make your tablet an access point and then use the router in wireless bridge mode.  

The downside to this is that the tablet will have to assign IP addresses, which will be inconvenient.

Alternatively, you could try to use the asus router to connect to the tablet in repeater bridge mode, but then you'll have another NAT to go through.

More datails? :)

40 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Oh I get it that would be easy

Enable tethering on your tablet, and set your router to pick up DHCP over Wireless

depends on your menu it should be similar like setting up a repeater.

CropImage.png.36122752848b06518561d632fada89a6.png

After you set dhcp over wireless, usually new menu will appear, you need to scan wireless that you want to connect, and input the password, and done.

CropImage.png.d37b20f5277b71bd6bfd94ae317f9a48.png

My menu options below, I can get tablet detected (red arrow), but I don't know how to connect to it

Router1.jpg

Router2.jpg

You need to change the main wireless mode from router to repeater or bridge.  Not sure where the option is.  Maybe network tools or administration.

1 minute ago, hooraah said:

You need to change the main wireless mode from router to repeater or bridge.  Not sure where the option is.  Maybe network tools or administration.

I did – second image.

Yellow text "Note:The function only supports [Open system?NONE, Open..." means I have to remove password from tablet AP? I'm not getting window where I should enter tablet AP password...

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

It's on WAN

Hmmm......

Router3.jpg.2aa3acbf9e6106e6ae466952036be82e.jpg

Use the quick connection guide

if it's not available you can always go for repeater mode

while this guide isn't really accurate

ink

but the basic is pretty much the same.

can you tell me why usb isnt acceptable?

Looks like mine doesn't have repeater mode :)

Router4.jpg.a36bd1c997f4f1c2ec32815ca4a0b95f.jpg