M.2 not appearing

Randommercy
Go to solution Solved by kevp453,
3 minutes ago, Randommercy said:

how do i install a driver on a computer that isn't properly working.

i have a laptop with me but i'm inexperienced on flashing software on a system

Pull out your M.2 drive and put your old drive back in. Boot to the old drive.

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Run the tool and tell it you want to install Windows on another computer. Plug in a flash drive for it to load onto.

While that's going, download the driver software for the new drive, copy it to the flash drive.

Once finished, shut down your computer.

Pull out your old SSD and put your new drive in.

Boot to the USB drive you created earlier.

On the screen where you pick the drive to install it to, click the link for loading driver or 'have disk'

Select the driver for your new drive

Hopefully it shows up in the list now for you to install to!

If you had Windows 10 on your system previously, it should be able to activate just fine without having to purchase another key. On the installation screen that asks for your key, just click the option to skip for now and it will activate when you boot into Windows for the first time. If you want to be sure, you can run a program called Jelly Bean Key Finder to find your Windows key. Write it down before installing Windows and you can use it to activate.

hello, this is my first time building a computer, i have solved a few issues mainly pertaining to the CPU fan error, which is solved. now my second concern is that when i boot into the Bios my SATA 2.5inch drive shows up which has my windows on it from and old computer. i purchased a new m.2 drive to go with my new build and i was planning on transfering the windows copy to the m.2 and replacing the 2.5inch SSD once that was done. 

Have you loaded the driver for it?

If you're trying to install Windows on it, you'll need to load the driver from disk first. Get it from the manufacturer's website or on the disk that came with the drive.

7 minutes ago, Randommercy said:

hello, this is my first time building a computer, i have solved a few issues mainly pertaining to the CPU fan error, which is solved. now my second concern is that when i boot into the Bios my SATA 2.5inch drive shows up which has my windows on it from and old computer. i purchased a new m.2 drive to go with my new build and i was planning on transfering the windows copy to the m.2 and replacing the 2.5inch SSD once that was done. 

Try this video as a reference, it isn't your exact motherboard but the bios setup should help you.

6 minutes ago, QuirkyRobot said:

For cloning guide: if you have samsung m.2. (I set the start time where he shows the cloning)

thanks for the video, i know how to do that now. i have a 2.5inch SSD with windows already, how can i get that transferred to my M.2 i noticed in the Bios the M.2 still doesn't appear.

13 minutes ago, Randommercy said:

thanks for the video, i know how to do that now. i have a 2.5inch SSD with windows already, how can i get that transferred to my M.2 i noticed in the Bios the M.2 still doesn't appear.

Did you install the driver for it like @kevp453 suggested?

14 minutes ago, Randommercy said:

While cloning from your existing install to the new drive sounds like a good idea, I recommend not doing it. Lots of problems can arise due to partitioning, block size, etc.

The best thing to do would be to give it a fresh install of Windows 10, reinstall your programs, and then copy your data from your existing SSD to the new drive.

1 minute ago, kevp453 said:

While cloning from your existing install to the new drive sounds like a good idea, I recommend not doing it. Lots of problems can arise due to partitioning, block size, etc.

The best thing to do would be to give it a fresh install of Windows 10, reinstall your programs, and then copy your data from your existing SSD to the new drive.

thats what ill probably end up doing, in particular i am not fond of purchasing another OS, but its looks like ill have to pony up.

3 minutes ago, Randommercy said:

Run the tool and tell it you want to install Windows on another computer. Plug in a flash drive for it to load onto.

While that's going, download the driver software for the new drive, copy it to the flash drive.

On the screen where you pick the drive to install it to, click the link for loading driver or 'have disk'

If you had Windows 10 on your system previously, it should be able to activate just fine without having to purchase another key. On the installation screen that asks for your key, just click the option to skip for now and it will activate when you boot into Windows for the first time. If you want to be sure, you can run a program called Jelly Bean Key Finder to find your Windows key. Write it down before installing Windows and you can use it to activate.

4 minutes ago, kevp453 said:

ill give it a shot, thanks for all the support!!!

59 minutes ago, kevp453 said:

i got it all to work, i followed what you said and i just finished installing windows, it just finished setting up

20 hours ago, Randommercy said:

i got it all to work, i followed what you said and i just finished installing windows, it just finished setting up

Awesome! I'm glad I could help!