External hdd not working

So I need help

My external seagate 8tb hdd is not working

When I boot my pc the hdd gives me a beep sound

When I unplug it and plug it back in while pc is on it gives me a beep

The hdd itself sounds normal

Its plugged into a usb 3.0 super speed and it has its own power brick so no issues with power

could it be hdd failure? the warranty is on the hdd itself so....

It has been my experience with external drives that it's usually the enclosure and components that go bad rather than the drive itself.

If there is data you need off it, take it apart and plug the drive directly into your system to recover data. Alternately, take the device to a friend's house and see if it works on his machine

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

21 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It has been my experience with external drives that it's usually the enclosure and components that go bad rather than the drive itself.

If there is data you need off it, take it apart and plug the drive directly into your system to recover data. Alternately, take the device to a friend's house and see if it works on his machine

again used it on many pcs, how do I take the hdd out of the enclosure? Link me a video its a seagate hdd

20 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

again used it on many pcs, how do I take the hdd out of the enclosure? Link me a video its a seagate hdd

That's not enough data to go off of.

You'll have to figure it out. Once removed the drive should have a normal SATA data/pwr and you can plug it into your computer internally.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's not enough data to go off of.

You'll have to figure it out. Once removed the drive should have a normal SATA data/pwr and you can plug it into your computer internally.

Yeah but idk how to take the hdd out of the enclosure... this is the first external hdd ive owened

1 hour ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Yeah but idk how to take the hdd out of the enclosure... this is the first external hdd ive owened

Google the model number and the word "disassembly"

Usually there are videos on youtube about this stuff.

If you are unsure, take it to a pro computer shop and have them do it

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

There are many causes for this issue. I think you can use disk test tools, such as CrystalDiskInfo, to test its current status. 

Hey OP, Seagate here. Sorry to hear that you're running into trouble with your external drive. The first steps to troubleshooting a drive are usually to try the drive with a different cable, try the drive in a different port, and try the drive in a different computer. You can find more troubleshooting steps in our Knowledge Base article:

USB External Troubleshooter

If you're able to get the system to see the drive at all, even in the BIOS, then it may be a good idea to grab our free diagnostic software SeaTools (there's a DOS version which tends to see drives the Windows version has trouble seeing.

If you do decide to open the enclosure of the drive, a process sometimes referred to as "shucking", just keep in mind that this is considered voiding of the warranty on the drive:

Why is My Drive Out of Warranty FAQ

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 9:45 AM, seagate_surfer said:

Hey OP, Seagate here. Sorry to hear that you're running into trouble with your external drive. The first steps to troubleshooting a drive are usually to try the drive with a different cable, try the drive in a different port, and try the drive in a different computer. You can find more troubleshooting steps in our Knowledge Base article:

USB External Troubleshooter

If you're able to get the system to see the drive at all, even in the BIOS, then it may be a good idea to grab our free diagnostic software SeaTools (there's a DOS version which tends to see drives the Windows version has trouble seeing.

If you do decide to open the enclosure of the drive, a process sometimes referred to as "shucking", just keep in mind that this is considered voiding of the warranty on the drive:

Why is My Drive Out of Warranty FAQ

Already contacted support, im going to return it soon