Won't Boot

Aklenar

I cannot get my new computer to boot. I even replaced the motherboard/cpu in case those were faulty. Help would be much appreciated.

Asus z370-F

i7 8700k

G.Skill RGB ram 3200

960 Pro SSD 512 GB

Evga 1000 G3 power supply

IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.04ba19fce238ced8abe8b53b81c07e1d.JPG

First and foremost; don't run the CPU without a cooler attached! This will completely kill your CPU if it overheats.

Second, can you elaborate on what you mean by not booting? Does anything show up on the display at all?

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

I just want to make sure all the parts are working. I would of turned it off as soon as I saw it running correctly. Nothing is displaying on the screen

The first time that you tried to turn it on did you have the cooler? When you tried to boot it for the first time how long did you wait before shutting it back down? Do you still have the other CPU you tested with?

I forgot to mention that I am doing a liquid cooled build. So it would be extremely difficult to test the board (with a cooler) without fully building the system and running the water loop. So I did not have a cooler. I waited about 5 solid minutes. I have the other cpu and motherboard I tested with.

21 minutes ago, Aklenar said:

I forgot to mention that I am doing a liquid cooled build. So it would be extremely difficult to test the board (with a cooler) without fully building the system and running the water loop. So I did not have a cooler. I waited about 5 solid minutes. I have the other cpu and motherboard I tested with.

I've done multiple custom loop builds. The best purchase I made was a simple universal air cooler for testing my components outside of the case. Something like a hyper 212 is less than 30 USD. Does the job and if I have a pump failure I can swap for a short time to air cooling as I wait for replacement parts. 

You should never run your system without a cooling solution in place. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

23 minutes ago, Aklenar said:

That's tricky without having a stock cooler, when you tried to boot the board with the other cpu did you have the cooler on? I worry that you may have damaged your cpu without the cooler if it was booted for five minutes.

I don't even think it turned on because there was nothing displayed on the screen. Even if no cooler were to damage the cpu, I think I should of at least seen it turn on for a bit.

2 minutes ago, Aklenar said:

I don't even think it turned on because there was nothing displayed on the screen. Even if no cooler were to damage the cpu, I think I should of at least seen it turn on for a bit.

So the fans never even started spinning?

1 minute ago, Aklenar said:

Which fan? I had no cooler on it.

I think that may be your problem then, cpus can get hot quick and if it got too hot then the startup would be aborted, it looks like in your picture you are getting power to the board so I am almost certain this is your problem. There may be a chance that the cpus are okay but I would not attempt to start it up without a cooler again.

Oh, I did not know that cpus get that hot even with nothing running on it. 

1 minute ago, Aklenar said:

Oh, I did not know that cpus get that hot even with nothing running on it. 

Yeah I did some testing on this a while back with a really old amd cpu and just giving power to it would make it spike up to 90 C and it would shut down, I am not sure how the system works for the newer Intel processors but this is just how it was with those and I assume it is similar.

So do you guys suggest me to just get a cheap cooler to test if the cpu/motherboard work?

Just now, Aklenar said:

So do you guys suggest me to just get a cheap cooler to test if the cpu/motherboard work?

I would suggest getting a cheap air cooler 100% not just for this time but for any time you cannot use the loop much like Zusafek said, make sure to test both of the cpus if you do get the cooler. The good news is that I am almost certain both motherboards are just fine if the problems are from heat-related issues. Best of luck with your build!