(Possible emergency) CPU fan goes insane

Toon

Basically when I boot my PC my fan is fine, it's quiet and running at a low RPM of about ~600, then slowly over a period of 5 minutes it keeps rising and then all of a sudden it just maxes out the RPM like crazy. I am not sure why it's doing this at all. I checked everything and the CPU fan is clean, no dust, dirt, etc. 

I am running an ASUS Motherboard and my CPU Q-Fan control is enabled, so I am not sure what's causing this at all. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

(Note: This randomly started occurring for the past week all of a sudden)

Oh and right when I typed that ^, my Chassis Fan #1 is running at 2.3k RPM and my CPU fan is now running at almost 3.7k RPM.

Now the CPU fan dropped to 3.4k RPM all of a sudden, but not sure why this is even happening.

Edit: I lied spiked back up to 3.7k while in BIOS

Have you checked your temps while is spinning fast? and are you overclocked

5 minutes ago, Toon said:

Now the CPU fan dropped to 3.4k RPM all of a sudden, but not sure why this is even happening.

Edit: I lied spiked back up to 3.7k while in BIOS

Any correlation between the spikes and cpu temps?

Just now, Mrunkown said:

Have you checked your temps while is spinning fast? and are you overclocked

Just now, QuirkyRobot said:

Any correlation between the spikes and cpu temps?

My CPU temps start at 40c, then it maxes to 64c while the RPM is at ~3.7k RPM.

Have you compared the fan speeds to the cpu temps?  CPU fan speeds are indicative to CPU temps.  If everything is working okay, as cpu temps go up, then fan speeds will increase.  First thing I would do would be to keep an eye on the temps and speed to check if they are related.  Next thing I would do would be to remove the fan cooler assembly and check the condition of the thermal paste on the cpu.  Too little paste can give false temp readings because little heat is being transferred to the fan assembly while too much paste can act as an insulator and not transfer enough heat away from the cpu.

Just now, Toon said:

My CPU temps start at 40c, then it maxes to 64c while the RPM is at ~3.7k RPM.

are you running stock fan curve? 

2 minutes ago, Mrunkown said:

are you running stock fan curve? 

Yeah, a default AMD Stock cooler.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Have you compared the fan speeds to the cpu temps?  CPU fan speeds are indicative to CPU temps.  If everything is working okay, as cpu temps go up, then fan speeds will increase.  First thing I would do would be to keep an eye on the temps and speed to check if they are related.  Next thing I would do would be to remove the fan cooler assembly and check the condition of the thermal paste on the cpu.  Too little paste can give false temp readings because little heat is being transferred to the fan assembly while too much paste can act as an insulator and not transfer enough heat away from the cpu.

I'll try to check the thermal paste. For some reason, this stock cooler somehow managed to gorilla glue the shit out of itself, so I can't really take it off without force and I don't wanna risk breaking it, let me check either way though.

1 minute ago, Toon said:

'll try to check the thermal paste. For some reason, this stock cooler somehow managed to gorilla glue the shit out of itself, so I can't really take it off without force and I don't wanna risk breaking it, let me check either way though.

if that doesn't help the only thing I can think of right now is resetting  your bios

Holy, I took off the cooler and it came out like this. Looks like it's time for a switch of thermal paste and a possible cooler as this is DRY AS HELL.

3 minutes ago, Toon said:

Yeah, a default AMD Stock cooler.

I'll try to check the thermal paste. For some reason, this stock cooler somehow managed to gorilla glue the shit out of itself, so I can't really take it off without force and I don't wanna risk breaking it, let me check either way though.

I have run across the sticking cooler problem myself a couple of times.  What I did to fix that was, first: make sure the machine is unplugged from the wall and the system is turned off.  Next, rearrange any cables and/or wires to make sure you can get your hands and fingers down inside where you can play around with the cpu assembly.  If you need to pull the GPU, that's okay too.  Last, get yourself a cotton ball or two and give them a healthy dose of isopropyl alcohol and then when you have done that, just hold the cotton balls down around the joint of the cpu and cooler.  Let the alcohol soak into the paste as much as possible.  After a couple of minutes, try to just jiggle the cooler around a little, maybe twisting it very gently from left to right so see if it will come loose.  Not to much, got to be careful at this point.  Don't be in a hurry.  Take your time and all will be okay and the two pieces will come apart.  DON'T FORCE IT.

Don't worry about the alcohol affecting any of the other parts of the system as long as you don't try to flood the thing like the great flood of china.  Alcohol evaporates very quickly, but don't forget, alcohol is electrically conductive.  It will pass current.

Alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, ethanol and isopropanol) is a polar solvent (very conductive) and is potentially corrosive (contains water).

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+alcohol+conductive+to+electricity&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS789US789&oq=is+alcohol+condutive&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.8587j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I have run across the sticking cooler problem myself a couple of times.  What I did to fix that was, first: make sure the machine is unplugged from the wall and the system is turned off.  Next, rearrange any cables and/or wires to make sure you can get your hands and fingers down inside where you can play around with the cpu assembly.  If you need to pull the GPU, that's okay too.  Last, get yourself a cotton ball or two and give them a healthy dose of isopropyl alcohol and then when you have done that, just hold the cotton balls down around the joint of the cpu and cooler.  Let the alcohol soak into the paste as much as possible.  After a couple of minutes, try to just jiggle the cooler around a little, maybe twisting it very gently from left to right so see if it will come loose.  Not to much, got to be careful at this point.  Don't be in a hurry.  Take your time and all will be okay and the two pieces will come apart.  DON'T FORCE IT.

Don't worry about the alcohol affecting any of the other parts of the system as long as you don't try to flood the thing like the great flood of china.  Alcohol evaporates very quickly, but don't forget, alcohol is electrically conductive.  It will pass current.

Alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, ethanol and isopropanol) is a polar solvent (very conductive) and is potentially corrosive (contains water).

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+alcohol+conductive+to+electricity&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS789US789&oq=is+alcohol+condutive&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.8587j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks for the information! Feel free to look at the pictures I put above so you can see my current situation ^.

You can use the alcohol to clean the two surfaces and all will be fine.  Just put the correct amount of thermal paste back on, put it back together any you will come out smelling like a rose.  When I put on my thermal paste, I only put it on the surface of the cooler and not the CPU.  That way I don't worry about putting on too much or too little.  I also use a razor blade to smooth it around when I put it on so it is nice and smooth.  When you clean the cpu, leave it in the socket, that way you don't have to worry about bending any pins.  I can tell it is an AMD chip because in the pic the mobo says it supports FX chips which are AMD and not Intel.  If you want to make double sure that all the alcohol is dry before putting the cooler back on, you can put some hot air on it with your girl friends hair dryer.

I am heading off to best buy momentarily to buy some Insiginia Thermal Compound. Looks to get good reviews according to the best buy site. I would of gotten a more brand-name thermal compound, but I need this fixed asap.

Thanks for the help once more @kb5zue

3 minutes ago, Toon said:

I am heading off to best buy momentarily to buy some Insiginia Thermal Compound. Looks to get good reviews according to the best buy site. I would of gotten a more brand-name thermal compound, but I need this fixed asap.

Thanks for the help once more @kb5zue

Understood, I'm sure that it will be fine without any problems.  Keep in touch and let me know how it all works out and I'm glad that I was able to help.  God, I love the LTT forums.

Found some thermaltake paste and applied it on my cpu after cleaning it for a few mins with alcohol and letting it dry. It conveniently came with a stick to spread it around.

So far my computer is now at 36c, better than the stock paste and my RPM idling at 1.57k which is way better than before. Gonna let it run a bit longer and see how it goes.

I attached a picture of how i did my thermal paste.

0329181700.jpg

This thermal paste is working wonders! I love it.

Looks like a pretty healthy amount of compound there...but if it is doing the trick, then great!

I typically apply a dot of thermal compound right in the middle of the CPU then let it spread out from pressure of installing the heatsink on the CPU. Less messy.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler