Should I Upgrade my Motherboard?

I was wondering if I should upgrade my motherboard. I've currently got a Pentium G2030 and a GT 1030 along with a 280 watt power supply. I'm going to upgrade to an I7 2600k and a 650 watt psu from corsair. I'd also like to upgrade my graphics card to a gtx 960, 770, or 780. I'm also using 8 gb of ddr3 ram. The name of my current motherboard is "LENOVO MAHOBAY (SOCKET 0)". When I search the name up, I don't really get any responses. Anyone have any input? I don't want to replace the parts and have everything short out or break.

31 minutes ago, brendan76476 said:

I was wondering if I should upgrade my motherboard. I've currently got a Pentium G2030 and a GT 1030 along with a 280 watt power supply. I'm going to upgrade to an I7 2600k and a 650 watt psu from corsair. I'd also like to upgrade my graphics card to a gtx 960, 770, or 780. I'm also using 8 gb of ddr3 ram. The name of my current motherboard is "LENOVO MAHOBAY (SOCKET 0)". When I search the name up, I don't really get any responses. Anyone have any input? I don't want to replace the parts and have everything short out or break.

What system are you using? Is it OEM or custom? If I were you I'd upgrade to a motherboard made by AsRock or MSI or Gigabyte or ASUS or some aftermarket company instead of an OEM.

The Pentium you have is Ivy Bridge, so an AsRock H77M would work very well for you. Or if you want to go all-out enthusiast, used Z77 Sabertooth boards can be found for around $100 and the Z77 OC Formula us the best of the best for Ivy Bridge, with VRM water cooling support integrated into the motherboard.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

36 minutes ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

What system are you using? Is it OEM or custom? If I were you I'd upgrade to a motherboard made by AsRock or MSI or Gigabyte or ASUS or some aftermarket company instead of an OEM.

The Pentium you have is Ivy Bridge, so an AsRock H77M would work very well for you. Or if you want to go all-out enthusiast, used Z77 Sabertooth boards can be found for around $100 and the Z77 OC Formula us the best of the best for Ivy Bridge, with VRM water cooling support integrated into the motherboard.

I'm pretty sure it's a lenevo OEM. I got it around five years ago when I was only twelve, but I know it was refurbished. Thanks for the motherboard recommendations, but I'm just wondering if I should trust a motherboard I got five or so years ago with new hardware in it.

18 minutes ago, brendan76476 said:

but I'm just wondering if I should trust a motherboard I got five or so years ago with new hardware in it.

No, you shouldn't. Especially a refurb. They're good temp replacements but on the Internet there are plenty of people who say it's refurbished and didn't do jack shit other than douse it with alcohol.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

32 minutes ago, brendan76476 said:

I'm pretty sure it's a lenevo OEM. I got it around five years ago when I was only twelve, but I know it was refurbished. Thanks for the motherboard recommendations, but I'm just wondering if I should trust a motherboard I got five or so years ago with new hardware in it.

The CPU you'll be adding is 7 years old as well, so nothing new there. There is also a chance it won't even run with that chip as Lenovo controls the hardware support. An i7-3770 (non-K) might be a better option, or the i7-2600 for that matter. The K doesn't do anything in these generations if you don't have a Z board, so there probably isn't any BIOS support for them either (knowing Lenovo and HP :P ).

Something you'll want to check, though, is that Lenovo boards and PSUs often have proprietary power connections, meaning you can't switch PSUs. If your "mahobay" is part of a Lenovo H520, then you should be alright. I see that board has regular ATX connections.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

40 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The CPU you'll be adding is 7 years old as well, so nothing new there. There is also a chance it won't even run with that chip as Lenovo controls the hardware support. An i7-3770 (non-K) might be a better option, or the i7-2600 for that matter. The K doesn't do anything in these generations if you don't have a Z board, so there probably isn't any BIOS support for them either (knowing Lenovo and HP :P ).

Something you'll want to check, though, is that Lenovo boards and PSUs often have proprietary power connections, meaning you can't switch PSUs. If your "mahobay" is part of a Lenovo H520, then you should be alright. I see that board has regular ATX connections.

I'm not familiar with bios compatability or any issues like that. I know the i7 i ordered had the similar socket type as the current pentium I have though. If it doesn't work out due to some other incompatibility with the motherboard, what manufacturer would sell a good replacement mobo?

10 minutes ago, brendan76476 said:

I'm not familiar with bios comparability or any issues like that. I know the i7 i ordered had the similar socket type as the current pentium I have though. If it doesn't work out due to some other incompatibility with the motherboard, what manufacturer would sell a good replacement mobo?

Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI. Basically the major motherboard vendors. As long as the board is micro ATX and has the 1155 socket. Mind you, this platform has been out of production since 2013, so you'll have to look 2nd hand. Since you're getting a K CPU, look for a Z68, Z77 or P67 chipset. These will allow overclocking.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI. Basically the major motherboard vendors. As long as the board is micro ATX and has the 1155 socket. Mind you, this platform has been out of production since 2013, so you'll have to look 2nd hand. Since you're getting a K CPU, look for a Z68, Z77 or P67 chipset. These will allow overclocking.

Thanks man!