ZFS Woes..

NoseyTable

Good afternoon!

Okay, so I'm doing some work for a company, and they called me today. Apparently someone who thought he was in IT managed to completely mess up a ZFS Pool, which I now have to try to recover.

The server is just a basic file server, running NAS4Free, with two 4TB drives in a mirrored ZFS pool.

Could anyone spare a few minutes of their time to assist me? 

It was functioning earlier and we could access files, so I went to fetch a hard drive to offload the files to, but during that time whatever he did made wuite a mess and now we can't access anything

ZFS1.PNG

ZFS2.PNG

ZFS3.PNG

14 minutes ago, NoseyTable said:

Good afternoon!

Okay, so I'm doing some work for a company, and they called me today. Apparently someone who thought he was in IT managed to completely mess up a ZFS Pool, which I now have to try to recover.

The server is just a basic file server, running NAS4Free, with two 4TB drives in a mirrored ZFS pool.

Could anyone spare a few minutes of their time to assist me? 

It was functioning earlier and we could access files, so I went to fetch a hard drive to offload the files to, but during that time whatever he did made wuite a mess and now we can't access anything

Never messed around with ZFS before, and I only know a little bit about it.  But assuming it's more or less Raid 1, you probably have more options than you think.

First, my recommendation would be to (carefully) take one of the drives out and clone it to another 4TB.  Don't give me crap about the cost of another drive.  It's nothing compared to data recovery.  I would suggest which trying to clone whichever drive comes last in /dev/ list (just check the serial numbers).

Once the clone is done, put the original drive back and tell anyone if they touch you'll rub ghost chili pepper on their face.

Now I'd recommend trying to find some ZFS file recovery software (don't ask me, no freaking clue, but I imagine there is some out there).  And try a file recovery.  I believe ZFS does have enough redundancy that you should be able to access most of the files.  Start by getting off the most critical files, then try to get the rest

Best of luck to you.

EDIT:  And DON'T try to recover files to the cloned drive.  Get another drive (probably only a 2TB given the occupied space) and recover the files to that.

The first image is shown it's being resilvered

did you unplug/turn it off?

if you havent try to replace the drive then replace it.

1 hour ago, Blebekblebek said:

The first image is shown it's being resilvered

did you unplug/turn it off?

if you havent try to replace the drive then replace it.

Heya

Yeah its being resilvered, because we replaced one of the drives, so its copying the data over, but since the other guy messed around with it, we can't access any of the files, which we could access eevn though only one drive was available