Some help overclocking 8700k!

Go to solution Solved by DarkSmith2,
3 hours ago, rogueone said:

So I did all that and when I get into Cpuid and I'm using Aida 64 for a stress test the clocks go down the offset which is set at 3. So ....I put in 50 multiplier and clocks are reported as 4700 in cpuid. I'm a newbie to all this and just wondering what this is all about?? I'm not sure I'm validating anything at the moment because it seems everything drops down 300mhz....bit confused...any guidance appreciated! I've tried removing the avx instruction core ratio offset to zero and I get the clock speed but got some throttling.....temps in the nineties......a bit confused!!

The reason for this is that the AVX offset in Asus and some Asrock Bios versions are currently bugged and are downclocking even if no AVX application or very little AVX is being used. (not sure but could be that the next Intel Microcode update fixes this aswell)

AFAIK a bios fix is already on its way. If you dont want to have this behavior of having most of the time 300mhz less then just step down your OC a little or make sure that you dont reach critical temperatures and good stability without using the AVX offset (putting in 0).

Feel free to google, you'll find answers.

Hi folks. Just moved up to a 8700k and doing some overclocking. I've used this guide on the internet as I've the same motherboard....Asus Hero X...

So I did all that and when I get into Cpuid and I'm using Aida 64 for a stress test the clocks go down the offset which is set at 3. So ....I put in 50 multiplier and clocks are reported as 4700 in cpuid. I'm a newbie to all this and just wondering what this is all about?? I'm not sure I'm validating anything at the moment because it seems everything drops down 300mhz....bit confused...any guidance appreciated! I've tried removing the avx instruction core ratio offset to zero and I get the clock speed but got some throttling.....temps in the nineties......a bit confused!!

Do you have the multi core enhancement disabled?

32 minutes ago, PKLee said:

Not sure...what is that under in the bios? I know that is hard cause it's a specific motherboard but will have a look! Thanks!

36 minutes ago, PKLee said:

Yes it was. Tried turning it on and same drama.....will go through all the steps again...anyone else know what is going on? it's 8700k, Maximus Hero X, corsair 3000 ram....don't know what else is important for this problem??

If your temps are in the 90s you're probably running into a thermal limit, though I personally don't know about which temepratures the 8th gen cpu's start throttling.

2 hours ago, rogueone said:

Yes it was. Tried turning it on and same drama.....will go through all the steps again...anyone else know what is going on? it's 8700k, Maximus Hero X, corsair 3000 ram....don't know what else is important for this problem??

same setup here as you and i'm 99% sure the AVX offset readings are bugged.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

3 hours ago, rogueone said:

The reason for this is that the AVX offset in Asus and some Asrock Bios versions are currently bugged and are downclocking even if no AVX application or very little AVX is being used. (not sure but could be that the next Intel Microcode update fixes this aswell)

AFAIK a bios fix is already on its way. If you dont want to have this behavior of having most of the time 300mhz less then just step down your OC a little or make sure that you dont reach critical temperatures and good stability without using the AVX offset (putting in 0).

Feel free to google, you'll find answers.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Thanks for the headsup!! I did download a bios update so hoping that will help!