Website building questions.

Melano

I know about square space and all but I want some specific things.

I'm wanting to host a forum, a custom URL shortener, a blog for posting web novel content, and an email server with space for about... three to five emails? Of course, I'd need login features too and so on but.. honestly I'm completely lost. I try to search this stuff at once and only get google's stupid url short thing as all results.

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

SQUARESPACE! SQUARESPACE IS THE EASY WAY TO BUILD YOUR OWN WEBSITE

For the forum, it's probably easier to use a premade thing - PHPBB is free afaik. Take a look at it. Maybe put it on a subdomain?

Custom URL shortener - maybe another subdomain? Or you could just put it into 1 html file with JS.

Blog - PHPBB might have a blog feature, or use wordpress or something. Also take a look at github pages (they use themes that can be used for blogging). 

Email - CPanel server or something. Have access to it. Shouldn't be too to hard to setup. (or just use a paid thing using your domain from google or somewhere.)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

44 minutes ago, Melano said:

a forum

Lots of options out there. PHPbb, Mybb, vBulletin, Invasion like this forum runs on, and many others. Most hosted web services (like SquareSpace) will have one or two of these as modules to embed in your site, but SquareSpace itself does not.

a custom URL shortener

Here's an example of one: https://github.com/cydrobolt/polr but there's a bunch of them out there.

a blog for posting web novel content

Again lots of options if you're self-hosted. WordPress, b2evolution, Drupal, etc.

A lot of hosted web services (like SquareSpace) tend to have modules for you to just embed though.

45 minutes ago, Melano said:

and an email server with space for about... three to five emails?

Most hosted web services have this as a paid add-on and you won't have the option to run your own server unless you're self-hosted or on a dedicated server.

3 hours ago, Melano said:

I know about square space and all but I want some specific things.

I'm wanting to host a forum, a custom URL shortener, a blog for posting web novel content, and an email server with space for about... three to five emails? Of course, I'd need login features too and so on but.. honestly I'm completely lost. I try to search this stuff at once and only get google's stupid url short thing as all results.

You have serval open source projects for this reason. You can choose all from Wordpress, PHPbb, Joomla and so on and so forth.

I'm quite sure you'll find it easier going for a cPanel host compared to these "custom panel" hosts that litims your flexibility.

GoDaddy, BlueHost, VodaHost, HostGator etc are great examples for cpanel hosts. Most of them cost around 100$ a year, for domain and hosting itself with unlimited space, subdomains, addon domains, email accounts, databases etc.

One big problem i have with one.com (That i use for my business website that required organization number to get the domain) is that it will not allow for more than a spefific set storage, memory, databases etc. Which can be a problem if you don't plan out what you want to do properly. To get more databases i self have to host the other databases i need from my own servers.

5 hours ago, Melano said:

I-I should say I have no coding experience at all..

Your asking a lot for a person with zero experience 

Well then you have a few option. Learn to code witch will take months to years unless you are gifted then it could only take weeks you never know. 

Pay for a service that allows you to do that. What you’ll ptatty much have to do no matter what option you pick Becase it’s way easier then learning it even tho you still should learn to code Becase it will help if you run into issue or if you want to add your own features.

you could just be a script kiddie and look on google (github is good) for pre made code you can just copy and paste to use if you can’t make it your self. But the. You have limited customization unless you know how to change stuff in the code. 

To do any any of this you’ll more then likely need money just for a domain to host the webpages. Or you can use 000webhost for free but it has limitations.

for blogs you can easily make your own in basic HTML and CSS but users won’t bebale to comment with their own accounts unless you learn java or PHP to go with the HTML. You can allow people to comment but it won’t be a log in system they will just type a name in a box and then the comment so you never know  who really is commenting. But I’d say use a blog website like tumbler or use like squares lace

But I would personally tell you to try to learn HTML and CSS and try to make a basic webpage of your own and go from there. 

As for the email if you want your own personal emails you will have to pay and there are many many websites to buy them, usally when you buy a domine and we host to host a server it comes with 1-3 emails depending on the provider. 

Hosting your own forum/blog/url shortener is relatively easy I'd say, it takes some work to understand it at first, but most programs are designed to be user friendly.

As for e-mails, that's an entirely different story. I am struggeling with hosting my own e-mail server at the moment, and there's a lot to consider (currently my e-mails don't even get to gmails spam folder, they are never even shown to the user), especially when it comes to encryption and authentification. Defernetely have a provider do the heavy lifting for you if you're not willing to put in the time (and money) to learn this stuff...

Hit me up, maybe PM me if you need any help. I'd be glad to help

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

5 hours ago, myselfolli said:

Hosting your own forum/blog/url shortener is relatively easy I'd say, it takes some work to understand it at first, but most programs are designed to be user friendly.

As for e-mails, that's an entirely different story. I am struggeling with hosting my own e-mail server at the moment, and there's a lot to consider (currently my e-mails don't even get to gmails spam folder, they are never even shown to the user), especially when it comes to encryption and authentification. Defernetely have a provider do the heavy lifting for you if you're not willing to put in the time (and money) to learn this stuff...

Hit me up, maybe PM me if you need any help. I'd be glad to help

Just buy an email from a big provider like go daddy or I think even google offers it. It’s like $1 a month