Windows 10 Volume OSD

Normally Windows 10 has a Volume OSD that looks like this:

Capture.PNG.60d0b6edae3928a598dbdf38908925d1.PNG

It allows you to play/pause, skip or rewind tracks and control system volume

i was wondering if there was a way to have a Volume OSD that allows me to control system volume and application volume.

I created an image of what i would like to see (it doesnt actually exist)

5ab894cdedead_Capture2.jpg.ece6caaf057125d2595330a227d97da2.jpg

my question essentially is... can i do this and how :P 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

8 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

Normally Windows 10 has a Volume OSD that looks like this:

Capture.PNG.60d0b6edae3928a598dbdf38908925d1.PNG

It allows you to play/pause, skip or rewind tracks and control system volume

i was wondering if there was a way to have a Volume OSD that allows me to control system volume and application volume.

I created an image of what i would like to see (it doesnt actually exist)

5ab894cdedead_Capture2.jpg.ece6caaf057125d2595330a227d97da2.jpg

my question essentially is... can i do this and how :P 

That sounds very interesting, I will watch this thread. i want this!

The OSD only has the ability to control system volume, since it's intended to be used with remotes (infrared/Bluetooth) or keyboard controls (including tablet hardware buttons), where the volume control is just a dumb rocker for up/down - having multiple volumes to control on the OSD wouldn't work for the situation it's designed for. The main argument is that it would cause confusion having multiple controls, and would be ambiguous which volume control was actually being changed without overloading a simple OSD with much more information than needed.

Depending on the application you're using, it may be possible to manually set keyboard shortcuts to individually control application volume, but it wouldn't be system-wide, and the OSD wouldn't reflect it unless the app had its own. 

For reference, this decision to "reduce confusion"  also why Microsoft changed the default applet that opens when you click the speaker icon in the taskbar from volume mixer to just generic system volume, as it apparently confused "normal people" having multiple volume controls by default.

59 minutes ago, Tabs said:

The OSD only has the ability to control system volume ~snip~

i see... are there any software controllers that you can recommend that may accomplish what i am looking for?

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

3 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

i see... are there any software controllers that you can recommend that may accomplish what i am looking for?

I'm sorry, I don't know of anything like that. Theoretically, the actual Windows CoreAudio API's don't prevent it - but to my knowledge nobody has made anything like that. A quick search just found the official MSDN documentation on how the API works, and some examples of system volume only OSD's - but development of those seems to have halted pretty much as soon as Windows shipped with it's own in Windows 7.

If you do find one though, at least one other person here seems to be interested in it, so let us know. 

13 hours ago, Tabs said:

I'm sorry, I don't know of anything like that. Theoretically, the actual Windows CoreAudio API's don't prevent it - but to my knowledge nobody has made anything like that. A quick search just found the official MSDN documentation on how the API works, and some examples of system volume only OSD's - but development of those seems to have halted pretty much as soon as Windows shipped with it's own in Windows 7.

If you do find one though, at least one other person here seems to be interested in it, so let us know. 

i will. thank you very much for the info :P