How much longer is it usable?

nitroaid

I've got an 960 4gb and wondering how longer I can use it before it becomes pointless using and I've got a i5 3570k @3.8. If a new card is advised any idea what to get ? 

It's usable as long as it yields performance you deem acceptable. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, nitroaid said:

I've got an 960 4gb and wondering how longer I can use it before it becomes pointless using and I've got a i5 3570k @3.8. If a new card is advised any idea what to get ? 

Most AAA games a pretty well optimized so you should be fine for the next 1-2 years at med-high settings @ 1080p

However if you are looking for an upgrade I would defiantly wait for Nvidia's new series of gpu's. 

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's usable as long as it yields performance you deem acceptable. 

Ye was thinking that myself to be honest what would you recommend for an upgrade in the future?

22 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

Most AAA games a pretty well optimized so you should be fine for the next 1-2 years at med-high settings @ 1080p

However if you are looking for an upgrade I would defiantly wait for Nvidia's new series of gpu's. 

Ye was potentially thinking a used card tbh due to high new prices at the moment

Just now, nitroaid said:

Ye was potentially thinking a used card tbh due to high new prices at the moment

You could do that since gpu mining is becoming very close to obsolete, you could go for a used card or you could wait for the new series of cards since they will last longer before becoming obsolete. 

8 hours ago, HZapperz said:

You could do that since gpu mining is becoming very close to obsolete, you could go for a used card or you could wait for the new series of cards since they will last longer before becoming obsolete. 

Ye sounds like a plan, any idea when the new cards are being released? 

3 minutes ago, nitroaid said:

Ye sounds like a plan, any idea when the new cards are being released? 

Pretty sure they will get released before the end of the year and potentially as early as summer. 

8 hours ago, HZapperz said:

Pretty sure they will get released before the end of the year and potentially as early as summer. 

Alright sounds good will probably be worth waiting then and maybe buy a new card or maybe buy a used card (like a 1070) if the prices reduce enough.

14 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

its not that mining is obsolete.  POS won't replace POW.  its that mining is less profitable due to lower market cap

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

A piece of hardware can still be useful no matter how old it is. My Pentium II machine is still useful. Does it give you the performance you want/need? If not, upgrade. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, nitroaid said:

You have as long as it lasts! That thing can last a while doing 1080p gaming.

1 hour ago, minervx said:
1 hour ago, HZapperz said:

its not that mining is obsolete.  POS won't replace POW.  its that mining is less profitable due to lower market cap

MINING IS POINTLESS

turning down settings is no big deal.

going from high to ultra settings is maybe 5% improvement.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

I've rocked an HD 7870 for 5 years before I upgraded and I was fine with it during that time. Most cards will give you this kind of longevity. a 960 has at least a year or two before you notice it start to struggle and it will be time to upgrade.

Of course, unless you like to open up shiny new products. Who doesn't love that?

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case