7850 OC issues, Software?

After a year or so of ignoring my problems i think its time for me to ask if anyone can help.

pre-note: i used to run these two HD7850s (1GB ver) in Crossfire, a factory OC XFX HD7850(975MHz) and a stock XFX HD7850(860MHz the one im now using, which i replaced the fan and thermal paste on). In technicality this issue began back during the time of both cards being in crossfire but would only give me overclocking issues when trying to overclock my second card.(I also didnt notice the screen tearing issue back then).

Im having really 2 major problems, and this happens with either card,

1: AMD overdrive sometimes doesn't actually overclock, it even shows that its not running at its set overclock.  MSI afterburner had the same issue but now i have an unlocked CPU so i can finally extend the official overclocking limits. MSI afterburner is a temporary fix for me but it works.

some discussion about this issue from 2016 can be found here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/708049-gpu-not-overclocking/ 

I even tried switching back to an older driver when it all began but didn't have any luck.

2: After managing to get it working kinda(got msi afterburner working), i began to notice something weird on my second monitor it looked like the image was tearing and halves or quarters of the screen(from bottom to top or top to bottom) would start shifting like 10 pixels and then resetting.(This only happens when the GPU is overclocked and on the desktop, it doesnt tear in games)

After fumbling around in the device settings in windows i managed to get it to switch the problem to my main monitor by changing the refresh-rate of either monitor. after undoing that i tried many things up to and including, uninstalling and reinstalling AMD drivers, reinstalling windows, swapping cards, chaning monitor refresh rates. No luck, still it continues if i try to overclock. At this point im somewhat sold that they are trying to disable overclocking for older cards, dont know why they would do that but maybe its native to the driver and thats why the 7000 series is basically at the bottom of the driver support list.

So at the end of the day i actually have no clue whats going on. I know its worth moving on and upgrading my graphics card, but right now is not exactly the time to buy and i dont have the money to do that either.

If you have any experience with this issue i would appreciate the help.

I really dont want to resort to buying a new GPU when i have two 7850s i could use interchangeably.

14 hours ago, Zalphor said:

After a year or so of ignoring my problems i think its time for me to ask if anyone can help.

pre-note: i used to run these two HD7850s (1GB ver) in Crossfire, a factory OC XFX HD7850(975MHz) and a stock XFX HD7850(860MHz the one im now using, which i replaced the fan and thermal paste on). In technicality this issue began back during the time of both cards being in crossfire but would only give me overclocking issues when trying to overclock my second card.(I also didnt notice the screen tearing issue back then).

Im having really 2 major problems, and this happens with either card,

1: AMD overdrive sometimes doesn't actually overclock, it even shows that its not running at its set overclock.  MSI afterburner had the same issue but now i have an unlocked CPU This has nothing to do with GPU overclocking. so i can finally extend the official overclocking limits. MSI afterburner is a temporary fix for me but it works.

some discussion about this issue from 2016 can be found here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/708049-gpu-not-overclocking/ 

I even tried switching back to an older driver when it all began but didn't have any luck. Still using same OS? If you are using a newer version of windows, every possible test you did in the previous one is not directly comparable. Drivers are different.

2: After managing to get it working kinda(got msi afterburner working), i began to notice something weird on my second monitor it looked like the image was tearing and halves or quarters of the screen(from bottom to top or top to bottom) would start shifting like 10 pixels and then resetting.(This only happens when the GPU is overclocked and on the desktop, it doesnt tear in games) Brand and model of said monitors? Also how are you connected to them, DVI, HDMI, DP ?

After fumbling around in the device settings in windows i managed to get it to switch the problem to my main monitor by changing the refresh-rate State the refresh rate of each panel and the setting you are using. of either monitor. after undoing that i tried many things up to and including, uninstalling and reinstalling AMD drivers, reinstalling windows, swapping cards, chaning monitor refresh rates. No luck, still it continues if i try to overclock. At this point im somewhat sold that they are trying to disable overclocking for older cards, dont know why they would do that but maybe its native to the driver and thats why the 7000 series is basically at the bottom of the driver support list.Not necesary, but not impossible either. AMD usually supports GPUs for a long time, and to be honest, i cant think of a XFX 7000 series that hasn't died yet. XFX did an awful work with those, but, i guess 7850 are not as demanding  as 7870, XT, 7950 and 7970, so survival chances are higher.

So at the end of the day i actually have no clue whats going on. I know its worth moving on and upgrading my graphics card, but right now is not exactly the time to buy and i dont have the money to do that either.

Remove overclock, Use a clean windows install, and try again. It's a pain to start all over but it's to rule out possible issues. Try downloading ISO file from microsoft themseves, you can try it out for a short period of time, (its enough for this testing purposes).

If you have any experience with this issue i would appreciate the help.

I really dont want to resort to buying a new GPU when i have two 7850s i could use interchangeably.

Different refrash rate panels are known to be a pain in any configuration. Of course someone will pop from a bush saying they are still using 5 monitors with different refresh rates and never had any kind of issue. However, its known to cause issues.

Check your conections, Cables may be bad. If its possible try different cables and always use Digital interfaces over Analog. (Digital = HDMI DVI DP Analog= VGA, SuperVideo, etc).

Test with EVERYTHING on stock. CPU, RAM, GPU, if it's possible a clean Windows install.

State full rig with brand and model and driver version currently in use. (Try the latest known to work properly, even if it has 2 years, if you dont remember, try to instal the one that came in the BOX, it may be old but it's testing time, not gaming time).

Check your panels, Try plugging the monitor to another PC or notebook and see if the problem persist (or if another weird behavior pops).

cheers.

problem persists on whichever monitor i make it to by switching pannel frequencies.

Monitors Asus 23.5inch 1080p 1ms not sure what kind of pannel at this point. ref-rate = 60Hz(but its been defaulted to 59 for some time now tried changing to 60 didnt help).

NEC dont know much about it but its 1280x1024 60Hz or 75Hz(though i run it at 60) its also old and ive been using it for over 7 years it has no known issues and starts up faster than the asus. has slightly off color though. also tried changing refresh rate, did not solve problem.

Ill go try out my machine on different monitors but but there is no way for me to really test out my monitors in this way on different machines as it requires overclocking to begin with.(edit: which will break my only path to OC if i use the old machine because i cant extend official OC limits as the APU is not unlocked)

original stystem:

A8-7600

16GB DDR3 gskill ripjaws 2133

MSI A88x-G45 Gaming

7200 WD Black 1tb

xfx HD7850 1gb 975MHz some factory oc edition but exactly the same physically.

xfx HD7850 1gb 860MHz

corsair cx750m

R5 1600

ASROCK AB350

16GB DDR4 gskill Tridentz 3000MHz

7200 WD black 1tb

xfx HD7850 1gb 860MHz (currently in the machine)

corsair cx750m

After testing out two monitors of the same resolution with and without my primary monitor, Both DVI(one using a DVI to miniDP), with slightly varrying refreshrates i have discovered that it does this only when the monitors are of different resolution.

I find it hard to believe this is the core issue as my monitors never acted this way until either windows 10 fall creators update or a newer set of crimson drivers came out(dont remember which one did it). Im going to conclude it is driver related and see if i cant get a hold of AMD but the only fix i can find is getting another 1920x1080 monitor or using only both of my 1280x1024 monitors, something i do not intend to do as it will hurt my capacity to develop webpages effectively. and my only other monitor capable of scaling to 1920x1080 died just this last fall.

thanks for your time, ill post if i can get an update on the drivers situation.