Ok so im sure this question has probably been asked many times, but i cant seem to figure out what camera i should get. I am going to be vlogging with it and doing some photography of both still and moving cars. The vlogging/video quality is most important to me and i will probably be using an external mic such as the rode mic so built in audio isnt a huge concern. I dont particularly care about 4k currently though it is something id like to have. So far i am kind of leaning towards the PANASONIC LUMIX G7, nikon d5200, Sony a6000, and the canon g7x mark 2. Id like to keep it around $600 with lens or point and shoot but if it is nikon i can do a body only sense i already have a couple af-s lens i could use with whatever body hence my consideration for the d5200 (about $300 used). If there are any other cameras you guys would recommend id love to hear it or just which of the aforementioned ones would be helpful too. Thanks so much.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

What about the Canon m50? sounds like they made it with you in mind, fhd with dual pixel af, articulating touchscreen, small and light, and as far as I know pretty budget friendly, although it might be a bit more than $600.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Agree with above. Going Nikon for video is not a smart move. If Sony you’d want the A6300 at least which is out of budget for you unless you find one used for a good deal. 

Panasonic G85 could be a good option or as above, a Canon M50

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

18 hours ago, cc143 said:

What about the Canon m50? sounds like they made it with you in mind, fhd with dual pixel af, articulating touchscreen, small and light, and as far as I know pretty budget friendly, although it might be a bit more than $600.

Keep in mind it can also do 4K...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

17 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Keep in mind it can also do 4K...

The written word isn't the best at conveying irony, so I'm not sure if you are serious;P. It does, but, its way too cropped in and no dpaf in 4k, so not the best thing for vlogging. Only 24p too, so not that great for broll either. You could certainly use it though.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

On 23/03/2018 at 10:46 PM, cc143 said:

The written word isn't the best at conveying irony, so I'm not sure if you are serious;P. It does, but, its way too cropped in and no dpaf in 4k, so not the best thing for vlogging. Only 24p too, so not that great for broll either. You could certainly use it though.

I actually was serious about that, but didn't have the thing about further crop and autofocus in mind... Aso, can't it do 30 FPS, too? :o

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

2 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

I actually was serious about that, but didn't have the thing about further crop and autofocus in mind... Aso, can't it do 30 FPS, too? :o

I believe it can only go up to 24, I'm not sure if I heard that that is only a limitation of the North American version alone or across the board, although I can't think why that's be the case. 

Anyway, I don't think you should be looking at 4k at that point tbh. It does load of other things really well, and cameras that do offer 4k in such low price points (even a bit higher sometimes) tend to compromise heavily on anything else. 

• 3 weeks later...

For vlogging you are really going to want something stabilized, with a front facing screen. I would go for the Lumix G85 if you can pony up the cash. The G7 is also good, but will have a lot more shake.