Home Server upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Dark,
6 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

If money isn't that big of an issue, start looking at some professional servers. Maybe consider buying a PowerEdge R410 or an R710 if you're up for that. Space for a shitton of ram and storage devices. 

The only downside would be the noise. Especially when it boots up. You can turn the fans down, but they will still make more noise than a regular desktop. 

R410 and R710 are ancient.  He also doesn't want to buy used.

7 hours ago, TomSerious said:

The Server currently will be used for NAS and some VMs which run some small tasks.

The Silver 4108 isn't bad but the base clock is slow (the 6700k offers higher compute capability).  Check out the Xeon-D 2100 series chips, may or may not be up your alley.

*edit* the passmark score I looked at for the 4108 was referencing a dual socket setup, so I bolded my correction.

Hello!

I am running Windows Server 2016 on my home server and currently there is a i7-6700K installed (on a B150 board),

which is delidded and has liquid metal in it ( :S ), with only 16 GB of non ECC RAM.

I think about upgrading to:

Intel® Xeon® Silver 4108 Processor (~ € 415)

Asus Z11PA-U12 (3 mini SAS connectors would be really nice to have, or 12 SATA Ports) (~ € 365)

1 Stick of Kingston Premier DIMM 32GB, reg ECC (KSM26RD4/32HAI) for maybe future updates (~ € 370)

Money wouldn't be the issue here, but do you have  any suggestions for a other config which would make more sense?

Also those components would be easily available and I don't like to buy used stuff.

Thanks in advance!

First off, what's the use case? (what will the server be handling besides Server 2016)

6 hours ago, Dark said:

First off, what's the use case? (what will the server be handling besides Server 2016)

The Server currently will be used for NAS and some VMs which run some small tasks.

If money isn't that big of an issue, start looking at some professional servers. Maybe consider buying a PowerEdge R410 or an R710 if you're up for that. Space for a shitton of ram and storage devices. 

The only downside would be the noise. Especially when it boots up. You can turn the fans down, but they will still make more noise than a regular desktop. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

6 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

7 hours ago, TomSerious said:

The Silver 4108 isn't bad but the base clock is slow (the 6700k offers higher compute capability).  Check out the Xeon-D 2100 series chips, may or may not be up your alley.

*edit* the passmark score I looked at for the 4108 was referencing a dual socket setup, so I bolded my correction.

R330 then :)

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

36 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

R330 then :)

Compute is no better than what he currently has and it wouldn't be an ideal solution for someone looking at a storage solution.  You're limited to 8x 2.5 or 4x 3.5 drives.

3 hours ago, Dark said:

9 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

Thank you both for helping!

I think I will go for the Xeon Silver 4110, since the D-2100 Series isn't available in my region now and the 4110 has a bit higher clock speeds at a small price increase.