Google Maps Slave

Back in 2004 I was a call center agent. People would call with questions and issues and you would assist them for a monthly salary. In 2008 I worked in administration for an institution and people would also contact us with questions and I would provide relevant information... for a salary. Maybe I'm old fashioned but, excited as I was to submit pictures and reviews for local businesses in Google Maps, I quickly realized Google Maps was trying to enslave me.

It started happening recently after I bought a new Android phone -I rather not disclose the phone I replaced- and began receiving alerts telling me I was in a coffee shop and asking for pictures and reviews. I was delighted to provide them. Your pictures are popular! an email would inform. Would you like to contribute some more? After a week, I actually didn't want to contribute anymore but Google insisted. "You are near a business" -I was one block away- "help the world see it with a picture!" Nah, thank you. "You are near a business"...

After a few days I started getting questions. "Somebody has asked a question about the coffee shop. Do you want to help them?" So now I'm supposed to be a mobile, always ready call center agent again FOR FREE!?

Am I the only one that thinks that answering questions about a business is and should forever remain a paid job? Or should I just give in and accept I am Google Maps Support, my name is Jerónimo, how can I help you today?

I guess the logic is that you're helping ("working for") other people, not Google, and the assumption is that they might do the same and if everyone did that everyone would be infinite knowledge and happiness :P But I see what you mean, the info and help you provide is on their platform so it is still benefiting Google.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Enslavement? Hardly.

Its making a better community. I always help out on google maps for my area and its a small way I can contribute to a greater community. Answering questions or providing info is simply helping another human being out, which I will gladly do, free of charge, simply because it is a good deed. It's not like google is asking you to plan their vacation, they are asking stuff like is handicap parking available, when are they open, or what kind of restaurant is this.

Think of the amount of information everyone could get instantly if everyone put in some effort to do this. Everyone benefits.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

You're talking about the review questions -which I provided in every review. But then I started getting questions from people "Is X item on the menu?" "Can I rent this for place a party this Saturday? How much is it?" The answer is invariably twofold: 1 I don't know. 2 Why am I getting this question and not the owner? If they were about parks or Museums I'd be thrilled to help but it's usually about closing sales for a profit making business.

Yes, Rosita, you can rent this venue next Saturday, it will be U$D 300 for 3 and a half hours. Thank you for contacting Jeronimov Support, is there anything else I can do for you today?

This isn't new. Not by far. And it only happens if you have location tracking enabled. Its really annoying and I'm not sure if blocking Maps from giving notifications would help. I wouldn't call it working for free either. Rather you are paying for using service Google Maps is providing by giving something back to them. You visit store and give review. Maybe you have found that store because it was listed on Maps. They are just asking if you would like to give something back for their service.

Now, if you actually want money, there are companies which hire staff to fill those infos for companies. You wouldn't believe the amount of companies which lack all kinds of social media presence.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv