1050ti OR 1060

Nathan5660

Dunno weather I have asked this alreaedy or not, but I have been collecting on paper a list of components for my Project Ryzen in a few months to a years time. 

At the moment, my system has:

An AMD A107700K

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB

1TB Toshiba HDD

120GB Kingston SSD

And a CD ROM drive for DVD goodness. 

Now, I know that my current GTX 1050 WOULD bottleneck the Ryzen 5 1600 I plan to get. But what I'm wondering is, would a 1050ti or a 1060 be better bang for buck? :/ As my budget is PRETTY small. 

Eventually I would like to use my current system as an video editing/NAS work station, with Project Ryzen being only or gaming/entertainment. Connected by an Ethernet cable for data transfer only (I Think I am right in saying that would work?)  

The 1050 wouldn't bottleneck the Ryzen 5 1600, where did you hear that? Even the GTX 780 doesn't bottleneck the 1600(I personally run this config and speak from experience).

In terms of bang for buck, I would recommend the 1060, even if it's the 3Gb variant, over the 1050Ti any day if it can be found for a reasonable price.

You can transfer files over Ethernet.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I dont think you understand what a bottleneck is... You have it backwards, in this scenario, you are getting the desired effect.. GPU pegged at 100% with the CPU awaiting instructions from the GPU. A bottleneck, in this case, would be the CPU pegged at 100% and the GPU not at 100% . 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I dont think you understand what a bottleneck is... You have it backwards, in this scenario, you are getting the desired effect.. GPU pegged at 100% with the CPU awaiting instructions from the GPU. A bottleneck, in this case, would be the CPU pegged at 100% and the GPU not at 100% . 

So I currently have a bottle neck xD Righto that makes my wallet feel better xD I only game at 1080p anyway so I dont need these 4K capable cards or what ever xD

1 minute ago, Nathan5660 said:

So I currently have a bottle neck xD Righto that makes my wallet feel better xD I only game at 1080p anyway so I dont need these 4K capable cards or what ever xD

you do NOT have a bottleneck... Get that thought out of your head. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The 1050 wouldn't bottleneck the Ryzen 5 1600, where did you hear that? Even the GTX 780 doesn't bottleneck the 1600(I personally run this config and speak from experience).

In terms of bang for buck, I would recommend the 1060, even if it's the 3Gb variant, over the 1050Ti any day if it can be found for a reasonable price.

Ballin'!! Im not sure where I heard it, but A few people mentioned it a little while ago. I didnt think it made much sense seen as I get up to 60PS in GTA V in some places on the map anyway, at the High preset graphics wise. 

But my CPU DOES sit at 100% with the GPU at like....not 100% 

Just now, Nathan5660 said:

That's to be expected, the A-series chips aren't known for being powerful. Your A10 may be bottlenecking the 1050, but the R5 1600 definitely will not.

2 minutes ago, Nathan5660 said:

Ballin'!! Im not sure where I heard it, but A few people mentioned it a little while ago. I didnt think it made much sense seen as I get up to 60PS in GTA V in some places on the map anyway, at the High preset graphics wise. 

You'll do fine with the 1050. I really love the 1600, one of the best choices I made when upgrading my system to Ryzen.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Nathan5660 said:

If you’re seeing 100% cpu utilization, there is something wrong. Yes some games are cpu bound, but if you’re experiencing this in all games you’ve got issues on your hand

edit: never mind, thought you already had the 1600 installed. A series chips may indeed bottleneck your gpu

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

1060 is a better investment if you can get a decent price, the memory bus being 192 bit instead of 128 bit, so its memory is a lot faster.

The 1050TI's memory bus is the same as the regular 1050. A 1060 3GB is a LOT faster than a 1050TI 4GB.

Whats the best RAM speed for Ryzen? 2166, 2400, 3000? Im not sure. I know it has to be DDR4 not DDR3 but what speed is best? I couldnt make much sense of the list of Ryzen friendly RAM list too many numbers for my brain xD 

4 minutes ago, Nathan5660 said:

Whats the best RAM speed for Ryzen? 2166, 2400, 3000? Im not sure. I know it has to be DDR4 not DDR3 but what speed is best? I couldnt make much sense of the list of Ryzen friendly RAM list too many numbers for my brain xD 

Highest number that your motherboard/processor can support is the best. 

52 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Actually, it does bottleneck (i know, definition nitpicking)

The Graphics Card is the bottleneck here (in most cases)

Ryzen 5 1600 could deliver more fps - if the GPU were faster --> GPU is the bottleneck.

However, this doesn't mean, this is anything negative or bad. A GPU Bottleneck is the ideal state for a Gaming PC.

Play anything in 4k Ultra --> GPU is the bottleneck. Doesn't matter if it's a GTX 1050 or Titan Xp.

41 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

you do NOT have a bottleneck... Get that thought out of your head. 

Not true. There is ALWAYS a Bottleneck. Otherwise you would have unlimited fps. There is always something preventing you from having unlimited fps. CPU, Ram, GPU, Game Engine...

What people should get out of their heads is: Bottleneck beeing anything NEGATIVE.

It's not possible for ANY Gaming PC to NOT have a Bottleneck. That's basic common sense when you think about the definition of "Bottleneck".

Whenever your GPU runs at 100%, this is a Bottleneck.

Whenever your CPU runs at 100%, this is a Bottleneck.

Because on both these situations, the performance COULD be higher, if the component would have more performance.

People should question themself: Do you have enough fps for YOU? Simple yes or no question.

If you have enough fps, who cares if there is a bottleneck?

CS:GO will probably still have a CPU Bottleneck with 300 fps. So what? You have a clear bottleneck. But is that bad? You have enough fps.

If you do NOT have enough fps, check where the problem is. If your CPU does not deliver enough fps, it does not matter what GPU you pair it with (GT 1030, or Titan X OC), you will NEVER have enough fps. Because the CPU won't be able to deliver more fps suddenly with a different GPU.

Like, if your CPU only manages 50 fps. No matter what GPU, you won't get more.

But with a stronger GPU you can increase Image quality. use DSR for a higher internal render resolution, higher textures, details etc. If you have to stick to 50 fps, you can at least make the image prettier :P

8 minutes ago, Nathan5660 said:

The higher the better. 

As long it runs stable. Ryzen is not known to be Ram friendly.

But pls, stay away from 2400 Mhz, let alone this slow cripple 2133 Mhz.

Get a good 3000-3200 Mhz 2x 8gb Kit, even if you have to reduce it to 2933 Mhz or 2800 Mhz, or even 2666. Better have it than need it. Chances are good, that it will work with around 3000 Mhz~ in most cases.

Just do a Bios update on your Motherboard early.

Btw: GTX 1060 6gb is obviously better^^ By around 60-70%~

But it costs alot more... Also thanks to Mining.