This pc is weird

I'm using a system which has a Core i3-2120, and 4GB DDR3 at 1333MHz  I also have a GTX 560 lying around in my room but in this topic I'll talk about why the system acts weird. I'm using an old monitor with maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024, because one with 2560 x 1600 resolution (see above why is that) are expensive. The problem I have is with resolutions.

This system doesn't have VGA output to the integrated GPU, it has only DVI, so I'm using a VGA-DVI connector to plug my monitor in. The problem is that it sees all the possible resolutions instead of the monitor's maximum resolution, on screen resolution changing page it shows up to 2560 x 1600. Some games open at the highest resolution seen, they open at 2560 x 1600 and the monitor gives a black screen with "Video mode not supported".

I've had another system before with a Core 2 Duo, this system had a VGA output to the integrated GPU and it was working fine, the maximum resolution shown to screen and games was 1280 x 1024 either if I was using integrated graphics or dedicated graphics with DVI only output.

On the i3 system it doesn't matter if I plug in a dedicated GPU with VGA output, it still shows 2560 x 1600 as the maximum resolution. Does anyone has any idea how can I fix this? I can't play most of the games.

Hi @Adrian98765

So if im understanding correctly from your dedicated GPU you got a dvi to vga converter, and then the VGA cabel goes in your monitor? A quick lookup learns me that VGA resolutions goes from 800×600 to 1920×1080 (1080p), therefore i think that the resolution you want to display with it simply isnt supported.

Edit: After further looking i've found this, supporting the theorie that VGA simple can't handle it.

1080p monitor at 1920×1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

30" monitor at 2560X1600 = 4,096,000 pixels

1 hour ago, Jarno. said:

Hi @Adrian98765

So if im understanding correctly from your dedicated GPU you got a dvi to vga converter, and then the VGA cabel goes in your monitor? A quick lookup learns me that VGA resolutions goes from 800×600 to 1920×1080 (1080p), therefore i think that the resolution you want to display with it simply isnt supported.

Edit: After further looking i've found this, supporting the theorie that VGA simple can't handle it.

1080p monitor at 1920×1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

30" monitor at 2560X1600 = 4,096,000 pixels

Hi man...Yes, I se DVI-VGA for the gpu output, my monitor cable is VGA. Do you have any idea why it sees maximum resolution as 2560X1600 instead of 1280 x 1024 on this pc?

24 minutes ago, Adrian98765 said:

Hi man...Yes, I se DVI-VGA for the gpu output, my monitor cable is VGA. Do you have any idea why it sees maximum resolution as 2560X1600 insted of 1280 x 1024 on this pc?

What does windows report as recommend resolution? Rightclick at desktop and leftclick at screenresolution. This should be the resolution it can support. Its rare but sometimes windows cant tell what resolution is recommended because it cant detect which monitor you're using. Then try to manualy put it at the max resolution supported by the monitor.

4 hours ago, Jarno. said:

What does windows report as recommend resolution? Rightclick at desktop and leftclick at screenresolution. This should be the resolution it can support. Its rare but sometimes windows cant tell what resolution is recommended because it cant detect which monitor you're using. Then try to manualy put it at the max resolution supported by the monitor.

Windows doesn't report any recommended resolution. It just shows the resolutions list. I already use 1280 x 1024. As I said I've been using a Core 2 Duo system for 2 years and the core 2 duo system showed 1280 x 1024 as max resolution and recommended, while this pc seems to read maximum as 2560X1600 and in some games gives a black screen because of the unsupported resolution. Any other ideas why this pc sees higher resolutions? I can't play League of Legends anymore on this i3 system, it says video mode not supported, starts at 2560X1600, I tried changing game resolution to 1280 x 1024 through the ini file but doesn't seem to work.

No, i cant tell but i got a monitor here showing the same behaviour but nobody games at that pc (its not be able to do so anyway) so its not really an issue. Cant you just limit the resolution of the games you're using in any way? so its doesnt go higher then supported display resolution?

11 hours ago, Jarno. said:

No, i cant tell but i got a monitor here showing the same behaviour but nobody games at that pc (its not be able to do so anyway) so its not really an issue. Cant you just limit the resolution of the games you're using in any way? so its doesnt go higher then supported display resolution?

I don't know how to do so, neither on Intel control panel or nVidia control panel for the GTX 560. I guess no one knows why this pc shows higher resolutions.

On 18-3-2018 at 10:36 AM, Adrian98765 said:

I don't know how to do so, neither on Intel control panel or nVidia control panel for the GTX 560. I guess no one knows why this pc shows higher resolutions.

The only thing i can come up with is this. Disable high dpi scaling or run at 640 x 480 although this a horribe resolution. You can try if this does anything for you. (rightclick properties of any .exe file) W10 scaling is famous of being horrible so maybe it works.

image.png.fd6247c9aecec8ab7e7199b25cbacd10.png

• 1 month later...

Nothing worked..

But after 2 months...I found the fix!

Bought an AMD gpu and installed the driver, entered Catalyst Control Center, and under "My VGA displays" tab is another tab named " Properties (VGA Display) ". Clicked there and found below "Monitor Attributes" that I can set the maximum resolution and maximum refresh rate the system should see. From here I chosen 1280 x 1024 and 75Hz as the maximum resolution :D 

GOD BLESS AMD FOR THEIR AWESOME OPTIONS IN CATALYST CONTROL CENTER TO FORCING THE MAXIMUM RESOLUTION AS YOU PLEASE

RESOLUTION.jpg

RESOLUTION2.jpg