Gtx 1060 3gb and 550W PSU functional??

k96

Hello,

My build is as following:

Asus rog strix b350-f Gaming

1060 3gb

ryzen 1600

ballistix sport? 2x4gb 2666mhz (dont know how to spell that)

EVGA B3 550W +Bronze sertified

x2 120gb ssd

x1 500gb HDD (thats what i had laying around, probably enough)

fractal design s36 (spare me for the "this is overkill" reply, i know 9_9, but i got it for a cheap price, ish)

I read on the GPU package that arrived, that it needed a minium of 500w system, however im only running a 550W PSU. and according to pcpartpicker the calculations was 310W for the entire system, and other forum replies have noted a 400W to even be sufficent, but thats without naming the rest of the system. Is this sufficent enough to run the card without Power issues? considering the package said minimum 500W system, and im only 50W above that.

thanks for replies in advance.

3 minutes ago, k96 said:

Hello,

1060 3gb

ryzen 1600

x2 120gb ssd

fractal design s36 (spare me for the "this is overkill" reply, i know 9_9, but i got it for a cheap price, ish)

I read on the GPU package that arrived, that it needed a minium of 500w system, however im only running a 550W PSU. and according to pcpartpicker the calculations was 310W for the entire system, and other forum replies have noted a 400W to even be sufficent, but thats without naming the rest of the system. Is this sufficent enough to run the card without Power issues? considering the package said minimum 500W system, and im only 50W above that.

I used to have these same exact concerns. I ran a 550w evga psu with my gtx 1060 and it was fine. Checked with a kill-a-watt meter and I was barely pulling 300w from the wall. 

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

500w is way more than enough for your system even if you oc

hmm, thats pretty settling to hear, as all my parts have arrived. + i wanted to mention that OC is something i want to try in the future. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Mackelt said:

I used to have these same exact concerns. I ran a 550w evga psu with my gtx 1060 and it was fine. Checked with a kill-a-watt meter and I was barely pulling 300w from the wall. 

hmm, well then im set. thats the last question i had in this forum after creating so many posts. Guess everything is ready to be built, finally! :) Thanks

1 minute ago, k96 said:

hmm, thats pretty settling to hear, as all my parts have arrived. + i wanted to mention that OC is something i want to try in the future. Thanks!

no problem man you should have plenty of headroom just make sure its not some super cheap supply without a rating

9 minutes ago, k96 said:

Hello,

1060 3gb

ryzen 1600

x2 120gb ssd

500 watt power supplies are enough for a 1080 to run comfortably, you are completely fine.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

no problem man you should have plenty of headroom just make sure its not some super cheap supply without a rating

has +bronze sertifications, and its from EVGA so i Guess its what they say it is :)

Thanks again for the info!

Just now, jtmoseley said:

500 watt power supplies are enough for a 1080 to run comfortably, you are completely fine.

another settling answer, great. im happy Things are turning out exactly as i wanted them to. Thanks for the answer! :)