Bad cpu temps

My cpu goes from 60 to 70-75~ in spikes which seems a little odd. [ and 50 to 70 with CoreTemp]
Also, it seems high considering i have AIO cooler (nzxt kraken x62) .
My CPU is I7 8700K

Pic of the temp graph:
https://imgur.com/a/O0UB6

6 minutes ago, ofekl said:

My cpu goes from 60 to 70-75~ in spikes which seems a little odd. [ and 50 to 70 with CoreTemp]
Also, it seems high considering i have AIO cooler (nzxt kraken x62) .
My CPU is I7 8700K

Pic of the temp graph:
https://imgur.com/a/O0UB6

Idle or load temps? What are you doing when this is occurring?

23 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Load temps - stress test

Also forgot to mention my room temp is around 20

Just now, ofekl said:

Load temps - stress test

Also forgot to mention my room temp is around 20

What stress test? How quickly does it change? Like rapidly fluctuate? Because if so, this is normal! :)

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

you can see from the photo that they are load. he was running the intel stress test

4 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

the one in intel extreme tuning utility look https://imgur.com/a/O0UB6

5 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

you can see from the photo that they are load. he was running the intel stress test

Just took a look at it. This tends to be a fairly common occurrence and is completely normal. Just for curiousity's sake, try ASUS Realbench and see what that does!

the temps are definitely normal if not actually pretty good. these cpus get so freaking hot.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

On 3/14/2018 at 8:55 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

Just took a look at it. This tends to be a fairly common occurrence and is completely normal. Just for curiousity's sake, try ASUS Realbench and see what that does!

I got a solid 70~

On 3/14/2018 at 8:56 PM, showerhandle said:

the temps are definitely normal if not actually pretty good. these cpus get so freaking hot.

I don't know, it seems pretty bad that I can't overclock the CPU because these temps are high and I have water cooling .

Just now, ofekl said:

I got a solid 70~

I don't know, it seems pretty bad that I can't overclock the CPU because these temps are high and I have water cooling .

It was STEADY at 70c?

On 3/14/2018 at 9:08 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

It was STEADY at 70c?

Yes it was pretty steady went up a bit to 74 slowly but steady .

14 minutes ago, ofekl said:

Yes it was pretty steady went up a bit to 74 slowly but steady .

That is actually good to hear. Both temps seem about normal to me! Those fluctuations seem to occur with XTU quite frequently and is a result of ultra efficient power delivery in the chip. Do you have something called (or something similar to) Multi-core Enhancement on? Those temps seem about normal though. I have a Cryorig C1 with my new i7 8700k that is at stock and I hit like 77c at peak. This is 100% normal. I am generally comfortable with up to 85c peak load from benchmarks. Is it great and something to brag about? No. Is it completely safe and has little to no impact on longevity? Yes. This is, for better or worse, why people are delidding their chips. Even with good coolers, people are having major overclocking issues with these chips. I have no desire to delid for a variety of reasons, but if you want to really push the chip to high frequencies, that your best option. If you ARE at stock and MCE is NOT turned on, then you could get away with a little higher frequency and a little higher voltage (just so long as you're not passing 85c after benchmarking).

On 3/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

That is actually good to hear. Both temps seem about normal to me! Do you have something called (or something similar to) Multi-core Enhancement on? Those temps seem about normal though. I have a Cryorig C1 with my new i7 8700k that is at stock and I hit like 77c at peak. This is 100% normal. I am generally comfortable with up to 85c peak load from benchmarks. Is it great and something to brag about? No. Is it completely safe and has little to no impact on longevity? Yes. This is, for better or worse, why people are delidding their chips. Even with good coolers, people are having major overclocking issues with these chips. I have no desire to delid for a variety of reasons, but if you want to really push the chip to high frequencies, that your best option. If you ARE at stock and MCE is NOT turned on, then you could get away with a little higher frequency and a little higher voltage (just so long as you're not passing 85c after benchmarking).

I mean.. I turned off MCE and got higher temps . Don't know if it's a coincidence or what.

Just now, ofekl said:

I mean.. I turned off MCE and got higher temps . Don't know if it's a coincidence or what.

That's the first I've heard of that happening! What are your temps with MCE?

On 3/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

That's the first I've heard of that happening! What are your temps with MCE?

It peaks at 80 with MCE and without it peaks at 73-74.

Also don't forget, I had 280 mm radiator, i should get better temps than you are with the Cryorig .

Maybe I didn't apply enough thermal paste.. I don't know..

Just now, ofekl said:

It peaks at 80 with MCE and without it peaks at 73-74.

Also don't forget, I had 280 mm radiator, i should get better temps than you are with the Cryorig .

Maybe I didn't apply enough thermal paste.. I don't know..

Wait I thought you had gotten HIGHER temps without MCE? So you mean WITH MCE you get worse temps. That sounds like what the majority of users experience (not the other way around) :)

That is not necessarily true. Because the thermal transfer of the paste that Intel is using is so poor, a good cooler can only do so much! Take a look at custom loop systems running on a non-delidded i7 8700k! About what you're getting. I'm also slightly undervolted but not by any significant factor. 

Fixes without delidding:

I would make sure the pump is mounted tight enough. This is frequently an issue. I had a major freak out last night when getting 95c on my i7 8700k. Turns out the darn thing wasn't mounted all the way. Rather than a full tear-down, I just had to tighten some screws and the issue was completely resolved!

Thermal paste MAY be an issue, but I have my doubts. I've actually heard similar temps with that cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/250669-i7-8700k-nzxt-kraken-x62-oc-question

23 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Wait I thought you had gotten HIGHER temps without MCE? So you mean WITH MCE you get worse temps. That sounds like what the majority of users experience (not the other way around) :)

That is not necessarily true. Because the thermal transfer of the paste that Intel is using is so poor, a good cooler can only do so much! Take a look at custom loop systems running on a non-delidded i7 8700k! About what you're getting. I'm also slightly undervolted but not by any significant factor. 

Fixes without delidding:

I would make sure the pump is mounted tight enough. This is frequently an issue. I had a major freak out last night when getting 95c on my i7 8700k. Turns out the darn thing wasn't mounted all the way. Rather than a full tear-down, I just had to tighten some screws and the issue was completely resolved!

Thermal paste MAY be an issue, but I have my doubts. I've actually heard similar temps with that cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/250669-i7-8700k-nzxt-kraken-x62-oc-question

Sorry I'm pretty tired, I get the weird result with MSE :

MSE on - lower temps

MSE off - higher temps

I used noctua NTH-H1 thermal paste, which I read reviews about and it should be pretty good. [Unless you meant the thermal transfer of the chip itself is bad] . I mean I could post a picture of the CPU tomorrow if it could help.

My screws are pretty tight, I checked it before I posted the thread.

Honestly I'm not sure so that's why i'm asking. My CPU speeds are stock, the reddit guy is running at 5.2 Ghz which is much higher than mine, so I guess getting 100 c is normal for him?

However it seems like people are getting 50 c at stock speeds with AIO coolers under load, so my temps seems pretty warm.

However you are the second guy who says these temps are normal, then I could be completely wrong.

Just now, ofekl said:

Sorry I'm pretty tired, I get the weird result with MSE :

MSE on - lower temps

MSE off - higher temps

I used noctua NTH-H1 thermal paste, which I read reviews about and it should be pretty good. [Unless you meant the thermal transfer of the chip itself is bad] . I mean I could post a picture of the CPU tomorrow if it could help.

My screws are pretty tight, I checked it before I posted the thread.

Honestly I'm not sure so that's why i'm asking. My CPU speeds are stock, the reddit guy is running at 5.2 Ghz which is much higher than mine, so I guess getting 100 c is normal for him?

However it seems like people are getting 50 c at stock speeds with AIO coolers under load, so my temps seems pretty warm.

However you are the second guy who says these temps are normal, then I could be completely wrong.

I use the same paste! The thermal transfer of the chip is actually quite bad ((the material between the IHS (the silvery part on the top of the chip) and the processor die). There are a lot of reasons for this, but ultimately, Intel decided not to solder Coffee Lake (while AMD DID solder the IHS for Ryzen, hence one reason why their temps are so great). This means that there are greatly diminishing returns for higher and higher end coolers with Coffee Lake because the limiting factor is something that you cannot control (unless you delid the chip -- which is its own can of worms). 

Here are some other users with your cooler: 

https://hardforum.com/threads/core-i7-8700k-temps.1946798/

I expect those temperatures that you're getting. Perhaps check the voltages when you aren't tired. Feel free to come back here and post and I'll be here! I find its never a good idea to work on your PC when you're tired

On 3/14/2018 at 10:04 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

I use the same paste! The thermal transfer of the chip is actually quite bad ((the material between the IHS (the silvery part on the top of the chip) and the processor die). There are a lot of reasons for this, but ultimately, Intel decided not to solder Coffee Lake (while AMD DID solder the IHS for Ryzen, hence one reason why their temps are so great). This means that there are greatly diminishing returns for higher and higher end coolers with Coffee Lake because the limiting factor is something that you cannot control (unless you delid the chip -- which is its own can of worms). 

Here are some other users with your cooler: 

https://hardforum.com/threads/core-i7-8700k-temps.1946798/

I expect those temperatures that you're getting. Perhaps check the voltages when you aren't tired. Feel free to come back here and post and I'll be here! I find its never a good idea to work on your PC when you're tired

The voltage is around 1.25 under a stress test .

4 minutes ago, ofekl said:

The voltage is around 1.25 under a stress test .

Yeah that sounds right. My personal recommendation, seeing as that cooler isn't actually the greatest (about equivalent to medium-high end air coolers), I would actually do a little "overclocking". What do I mean by this? Regulate the voltage and frequency yourself. The best and most "brute force" way to do this is to start at 1.1vcore and set "all cores to sync" (or whatever your board says) and start at 4.3GHz. Set LLC (load line calibration to automatic). See if this is stable (it should be!). If this is stable, bring it to 4.4GHz. If this is stable, keep going up until it isn't. Bring up the voltage and clockspeed in this manner until the system is too hot for your comfort. Keep it below 1.35v. Once you've figured out your stable OC, there are other settings that you can use to allow the system to decrease voltage when not using the machine! :)

You can definitely get away with a decent overclock at 1.28vcore or lower!

On 3/14/2018 at 10:19 PM, CrippledROBOT said:

Yeah that sounds right. My personal recommendation, seeing as that cooler isn't actually the greatest (about equivalent to medium-high end air coolers), I would actually do a little "overclocking". What do I mean by this? Regulate the voltage and frequency yourself. The best and most "brute force" way to do this is to start at 1.1vcore and set "all cores to sync" (or whatever your board says) and start at 4.3GHz. Set LLC (load line calibration to automatic). See if this is stable (it should be!). If this is stable, bring it to 4.4GHz. If this is stable, keep going up until it isn't. Bring up the voltage and clockspeed in this manner until the system is too hot for your comfort. Keep it below 1.35v. Once you've figured out your stable OC, there are other settings that you can use to allow the system to decrease voltage when not using the machine! :)

I appreciate your help!

Just a quick question before I do that, isn't the MSE overclocking to 4.7 GHz when it's needed?

I read a comment about it but I lost it..

Delid your CPU and load temps will drop 10c to 20c. I delidded mine and temps dropped 15C at load which allowed me to increase my overclock further. I can push all the way to 1.45v before temps get too high. But, before the delid I could only reach 1.35v before temps got too high. Now, I run daily at 1.38v and never go above 75C under stress testing.

Setup // CPU: 7700k@5.0Ghz w/ H100i v2 // MB: MSI Z270 Gaming M5 // HDD: 1x500GB 960EVO 1x500GB 850EVO 2x4TB 7,200 Barracudas // RAM: 16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo @ 2000MHz w/ NZXT G12 // PSU: 550W EVGA G2 // Case: Phanteks P400S TG

2 hours ago, ofekl said:

I appreciate your help!

Just a quick question before I do that, isn't the MSE overclocking to 4.7 GHz when it's needed?

I read a comment about it but I lost it..

Multi-core enhancement is great but yes, it will force all cores to 4.7ghz AND overcompensate with a high voltage (usually like 1.35 vcore)