4k Monitor - Not Gaming Specific for Sub 500?

FUR1AN

Hey all,

Think I may grab a 27" 4k display as a secondary screen (I already have a 27" IPS gaming display - 144hz - Gsync). Since I won't be gaming on it, the 60hz is fine. Ideally i'd like a slim border and will be connecting via DP. VESA mounting is a must!

I have seen a couple that look half decent but wasn't sure if it is worth it to jump on a display  now or see what this year's tech events/releases have to show - then wait to black friday for a sale.

The two below are ones that I am considering. Let me know what you think and if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260554

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025374

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I recommend the Dell one. Finding an Ultrasharp for that cheap is a good find. Plus it's fully adjustable and it has a USB hub.

A close second is the P2715Q.

Is it true that you can't use HDR on this panel with a display port? You'd have to use HDMI?

5 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Is it true that you can't use HDR on this panel with a display port? You'd have to use HDMI?

Effectively you can't use HDR period, but HDR support is tricky and headache inducing at best and I think it largely depends on the software. For example, I have a few HDR videos. One of three things happen when I play them on my not-HDR display:

• The contrast goes to crap.
  • The raw brightness is used, so everything looks overexposed (funnily enough, I can adjust this in NVIDIA's control panel)
  • The video looks like what it does on my HDR capable playback devices

And it depends on what video playback software I'm using.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Effectively you can't use HDR period, but HDR support is tricky and headache inducing at best and I think it largely depends on the software. For example, I have a few HDR videos. One of three things happen when I play them on my not-HDR display:

• The contrast goes to crap.
  • The raw brightness is used, so everything looks overexposed (funnily enough, I can adjust this in NVIDIA's control panel)
  • The video looks like what it does on my HDR capable playback devices

And it depends on what video playback software I'm using.

Okay noted so as of current tech, HDR in monitors isn't really a selling point. I guess what it boils down to is quality of picture and color. I have read some mixed reviews comparing the likes of this panel to an LG comparable.

Any thoughts on that?

1 minute ago, wpowell13 said:

Okay noted so as of current tech, HDR in monitors isn't really a selling point. I guess what it boils down to is quality of picture and color. I have read some mixed reviews comparing the likes of this panel to an LG comparable.

Any thoughts on that?

Dell uses LG panels.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Dell uses LG panels.

Okay good to know. Well thanks for the help. I'll have to read some reviews and decide if I want to pull the trigger or not.