PC restarts randomly

Hi, my PC keeps turning off (not with proper shutdown but just turning off instantly and randomly) and then coming back on. My specs are;

FX-8350
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2
GTX 780
16GB 1600MHz DDR3

120GB SanDisk SSD/2TB WD Blue (I think)

AeroCool Integrator Mod XT 750W

Nothing is overclocked. Is there any software I can use to find out what's causing it? Or would I have to physically replace components to see what's wrong?

its called the solar system because our sun is called sol

Usually if a computer shuts off randomly like that is for 2 reasons, Over current on the PSU, or overheating of the CPU and it shuts down to thermally protect the CPU. How are your CPU thermals? You can download a program called HWInfo to monitor and report your temps. I have found it the most accurate with AMD chips. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Usually if a computer shuts off randomly like that is for 2 reasons, Over current on the PSU, or overheating of the CPU and it shuts down to thermally protect the CPU. How are your CPU thermals? You can download a program called HWInfo to monitor and report your temps. I have found it the most accurate with AMD chips. 

It generally hits about 70/71* when I'm gaming, but it can happen when I'm just web browsing or only just booted so I don't think it's temps. And I've added all the TDPs and they're below the 750W mark that my psu says it does so I'm not sure.

It is possible that the PSU is the problem here. I do not see it on the Tier list we have here so I can not comment on where it lies, but @STRMfrmXMN or @Energycore would be able to provide more insite into the PSU quality.

Even though its rated at 750w, low tiered PSUs use bad components and really cant hold or sustain anywhere near their rated wattage as a result. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Yeah. It depends on the Power Supply. Maybe the Good Sense Wire might have loss voltage which made the Motherboard Turn Off but then Came back on so that causes a random restart. Also It can be the +12, +5, and/or +3.3 V Wires that are failing as well.

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

It is possible that the PSU is the problem here. I do not see it on the Tier list we have here so I can not comment on where it lies, but @STRMfrmXMN or @Energycore would be able to provide more insite into the PSU quality.

Even though its rated at 750w, low tiered PSUs use bad components and really cant hold or sustain anywhere near their rated wattage as a result. 

I figured that because it has an 80 Plus rating then it'd be okay. I might try to use my CX 450M to power individual components, but until I know what triggers the restarts I won't be able to properly test it.

Just now, OopsThatIsMine said:

I figured that because it has an 80 Plus rating then it'd be okay. I might try to use my CX 450M to power individual components, but until I know what triggers the restarts I won't be able to properly test it.

Even though it has that rating, doesnt necessarily mean it uses quality components sadly. Its kind of a double edged sword there. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

11 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Yeah. It depends on the Power Supply. Maybe the Good Sense Wire might have loss voltage which made the Motherboard Turn Off but then Came back on so that causes a random restart. Also It can be the +12, +5, and/or +3.3 V Wires that are failing as well.

How would I test to see if it is/if it is?

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Even though it has that rating, doesnt necessarily mean it uses quality components sadly. Its kind of a double edged sword there. 

Ah, right. I guess I'm gonna go solely off the PSU tier list rather than the 80 Pus ratings from now then.

18 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Doesn't look great.

No one received a unit to review, probably a group regulated low-ish end platform by HEC. But it shouldn't cause sudden shutdown by itself, it would have to be faulty to do so.

15 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

It could be the PSU triggering its own OVP / UVP as it feeds unregulated power, again not something an out-of-box unit would do, even this one. But if anything goes wrong inside then yes.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it is the PSU. That's a lot of power consumption on a machine that has an FX processor and a 780, so I don't see it impossible that the PSU's shutting down because of OCP/OPP (in which case it's definitely overrated and can't actually do 750W), or UVP.

It might be the motherboard's protection circuits tripping instead, but the cause would still be bad PSU.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

16 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Doesn't look great.

No one received a unit to review, probably a group regulated low-ish end platform by HEC. But it shouldn't cause sudden shutdown by itself, it would have to be faulty to do so.

It could be the PSU triggering its own OVP / UVP as it feeds unregulated power, again not something an out-of-box unit would do, even this one. But if anything goes wrong inside then yes.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it is the PSU. That's a lot of power consumption on a machine that has an FX processor and a 780, so I don't see it impossible that the PSU's shutting down because of OCP/OPP (in which case it's definitely overrated and can't actually do 750W), or UVP.

It might be the motherboard's protection circuits tripping instead, but the cause would still be bad PSU.

I shall get a new PSU then. Thanks :)

3 hours ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

Ah, right. I guess I'm gonna go solely off the PSU tier list rather than the 80 Pus ratings from now then.

Yeah, 80 PLUS ratings mean nothing. There are hundreds of crap units out there and lots have an 80 PLUS rating.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new PSU. It wasn't the power supply. Happened to me earlier with my new CX 750M. I had a thought that it could have been because I was using an extension with like 5 other plugs, so I've got it in its own socket at the mo with a different kettle connector. Is it possible it could be my mobo/gpu?