My computer randomly freezes. Help!

reaLab

What could be the problem if my computer randomly freezes? I think it started when Windows 10 had an update which left my second hard drive unreadable(completely unreadable like it wasn't connected to the motherboard so every games from Steam which are saved on that drive are just blank icons in my desktop.) Good thing it wasn't my primary drive coz then I won't be able to open my computer. So yea, what I did to fix the unreadable hard drive issue was to recover it from the state before the update and it worked. But then I notice that since then, my computer randomly freezes so I everytime that happens, I always need to hold the power button for it to turn off. I tried chkdsk and found no problem with both my drives. I tried repairing the OS but freeze still persist. Could it be a hardware issue? Or OS issue?

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, reaLab said:

What could be the problem if my computer randomly freezes? I think it started when Windows 10 had an update which left my second hard drive unreadable(completely unreadable like it wasn't connected to the motherboard so every games from Steam which are saved on that drive are just blank icons in my desktop.) Good thing it wasn't my primary drive coz then I won't be able to open my computer. So yea, what I did to fix the unreadable hard drive issue was to recover it from the state before the update and it worked. But then I notice that since then, my computer randomly freezes so I everytime that happens, I always need to hold the power button for it to turn off. I tried chkdsk and found no problem with both my drives. I tried repairing the OS but freeze still persist. Could it be a hardware issue? Or OS issue?

Thank you.

Weird question, but do you happen to have google chrome open when this happens?

10 minutes ago, ilostmyjello said:

Weird question, but do you happen to have google chrome open when this happens?

I usually open and just leave chrome open whenever I open my computer so yes. But I never really had this problem before. I think the update I was talking about was something like an anniversary update. 

have you tried disconnecting the other hdd with the games and using the pc? could be a faulty hdd?

35 minutes ago, reaLab said:

I usually open and just leave chrome open whenever I open my computer so yes. But I never really had this problem before. I think the update I was talking about was something like an anniversary update. 

im only asking because after i updated my windows, chrome became unusable, like i literally had to remove it and use firefox, it would freeze and everything you mentioned, and i actually found others had similar issues online

51 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

have you tried disconnecting the other hdd with the games and using the pc? could be a faulty hdd?

I actually haven't. I might need to try this. Thank you.

15 minutes ago, ilostmyjello said:

im only asking because after i updated my windows, chrome became unusable, like i literally had to remove it and use firefox, it would freeze and everything you mentioned, and i actually found others had similar issues online

That make sense to be honest because there are times that my computer won't freeze and that might be because chrome wasn't open. Thank you.