Help Blue Screen!!!

Dawson S

Hi everyone i just recently had quite the scare and i don't know what the issue is or what caused the issue, but my computer just went on a reboot loop which is the best way i can describe it. The following is what happened, i went to reboot my system, it shutdown fine, it turned back on and posted fine, but when i got to the windows loading screen it just kept loading until eventual i got a blue screen saying an issue occurred and that it was gathering data, then it would reboot and repeat the process even after i took all of my over clocks off to see if that would fix it. then finally for no apparent reason it finally booted. so i was just wondering if anyone knew what might have caused the issue and what i could possibly do to fix it.

-Thank you

I would run chkdsk /f to see if you have any issues with your drive. You can also download Seagate or WD utilities and test your drives. It could be a bad sector (depending on age, but happens in new drives too), or possible corruption. If you reset everything and still had issues, that is kind of odd. I would check your HDD first.

My boot drive is a Corsair MP500 NVME drive and i've only had is since December. and how do i run a chkdsk? 

12 minutes ago, Dawson S said:

My boot drive is a Corsair MP500 NVME drive and i've only had is since December. and how do i run a chkdsk? 

Run it through command prompt. Literally just type"chkdsk /f" (without quotes), press enter, and then off to the races.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Sounds like your computer actually made a dump file when it BSOd'd. We can look a the dump file to isolate if it is a hardware issue, or (most likely) a driver issue.

Look for a file with the extension .dmp in C:/Windows/minidump and upload it here or some cloud share site.

I tried running chkdsk/f and this what it told me.

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

and there are no files in C:/Windows/minidump

Now whenever I try and restart it does five boot attempts then takes five minutes to boot once it actually does. 

8D0FF48E-97A1-4618-A2CA-8B764DC420DE.jpeg

there is now a file in C:/Windows/minidump but unfortunately it will not allow me to upload it here.

1 hour ago, kevp453 said:

Sounds like your computer actually made a dump file when it BSOd'd. We can look a the dump file to isolate if it is a hardware issue, or (most likely) a driver issue.

Look for a file with the extension .dmp in C:/Windows/minidump and upload it here or some cloud share site.

actually i think i was able to upload it :)

022718-171562-01.dmp

Sorry for the late reply, last night was date night with the wife. (Went and saw Black Panther, so awesome!)

Looking at your dump we see this:

Primary Cause of BSOD:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)

And the culprit?

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE

Followup:     memory_corruption

Looks like your RAM might have some troubles. On boot up a kernel file is getting corrupted causing the bugcheck. The RAM might not be all bad, which would explain the spontaneity. 

I recommend downloading Memtest86, putting it on a CD or USB and booting to it to run some memory testing. If you get failures you'll want to drill down to see if it is a single stick. Also, try moving a bad stick to a different slot and put a good stick in the slot the bad stick was in; you'll want to make sure it's actually the stick of RAM and not the memory slot on the motherboard.

time stamp seems messed up in that dmp file. dates back to 1981?! lol. the only bluescreen i see is that damm ntoskrnl.dll file. happens all the time. any new devices plugged in? it always sorted out itself after some windows updates.

2 hours ago, kevp453 said:

Sorry for the late reply, last night was date night with the wife. (Went and saw Black Panther, so awesome!)

Looking at your dump we see this:

Primary Cause of BSOD:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)

And the culprit?

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE

Followup:     memory_corruption

Looks like your RAM might have some troubles. On boot up a kernel file is getting corrupted causing the bugcheck. The RAM might not be all bad, which would explain the spontaneity. 

I recommend downloading Memtest86, putting it on a CD or USB and booting to it to run some memory testing. If you get failures you'll want to drill down to see if it is a single stick. Also, try moving a bad stick to a different slot and put a good stick in the slot the bad stick was in; you'll want to make sure it's actually the stick of RAM and not the memory slot on the motherboard.

I ended up resting windows last night and that seems to have fixed the issue I'm no longer getting any blue screen and my boot time is now back to normal