Radiator size for a custom loop

I'm looking to put together a custom loop, and in the wonderful South Africa (where I live), components for a custom loop can be pretty hard to come by.

So far the best option I have come across is the EK S240 kit to start me off, and then I'll add my GPU to the loop later.

The thing I'm not sure about is how much heat that can dissipate vs how much it needs to.

The parts I'm hoping to cool are an R7 1700 and a 1080ti, would the slim 240 rad be enough for both? (I have heard the recommendation of 120mm per component)

If not, would I be better off adding a 120mm radiator when I eventually cool my GPU, or should I be looking at spending literally double the price for a thicker rad?

Thanks.

It's also depending on the case... I've a custom loop in my system with a 6700k + 1080ti and I went with 1x360 SE + 1x 240 SE (with high static pressure fans on it). 

My case is an airflow disaster, I'm pretty sure 1x240 SE would not have cooled my system enough.

Have you tried the EKWB configurator to see what they recommend for your use case? 

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

It's also depending on the case... I've a custom loop in my system with a 6700k + 1080ti and I went with 1x360 SE + 1x 240 SE (with high static pressure fans on it). 

My case is an airflow disaster, I'm pretty sure 1x240 SE would not have cooled my system enough.

Have you tried the EKWB configurator to see what they recommend for your use case? 

It recommends a slim 240 and a slim 120, I just wanted to chase a 2nd opinion as I have no experience with custom loops at all. Case is an NZXT S340 Elite, so that's it in  terms of my options for radiator real estate, but at least the airflow through it is pretty decent.

1 minute ago, jimmy1516 said:

It recommends a slim 240 and a slim 120, I just wanted to chase a 2nd opinion as I have no experience with custom loops at all. Case is an NZXT S340 Elite, so that's it in  terms of my options for radiator real estate, but at least the airflow through it is pretty decent.

I've got bad news for you my friend :( 

I bought all cooling parts for that case myself 1 year back... The configurator said it would all fit.

But with the extra GPU height the cooling block adds to the GPU you won't be able to fit your glass panel back onto the case.

It made me buy an entire new case because of that.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

I've found a picture :) it looked gorgeous, but the glass panel was impossible to get back on (the gpu  was like 5-8 centimetres too high :( 

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 09.02.18.jpeg

2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

I've found a picture :) it looked gorgeous, but the glass panel was impossible to get back on (the gpu  was like 5-8 centimetres too high :( 

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 09.02.18.jpeg

Well you just saved me a hell of a lot of frustration, thanks! Is that soft tubing in  there? Those runs look awesome!

Just now, jimmy1516 said:

Well you just saved me a hell of a lot of frustration, thanks! Is that soft tubing in  there? Those runs look awesome!

Yeah it's soft tubing. A CPU loops works fine in the case but the pump/res is a real bitch to mount in there...

Had to remove the cable management bar. Had to drill 4 holes to screw in the pump/res.

I really loved that case and I still miss the case :( But I really recommend to not build a custom loop in there.

4 minutes ago, partymarty said:

Yeah it's soft tubing. A CPU loops works fine in the case but the pump/res is a real bitch to mount in there...

Had to remove the cable management bar. Had to drill 4 holes to screw in the pump/res.

I really loved that case and I still miss the case :( But I really recommend to not build a custom loop in there.

Well this all sets my plan back a few months, and I will also miss this case :(

Thanks so much though, this saved me bigtime, and  what a coincidence as well!

3 minutes ago, jimmy1516 said:

Well this all sets my plan back a few months, and I will also miss this case :(

Thanks so much though, this saved me bigtime, and  what a coincidence as well!

You're welcome my friend! Would love to see pictures of the loop when you're done building it!

I've bought a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass, do NOT buy that case. The airflow is horrible!

1 minute ago, partymarty said:

You're welcome my friend! Would love to see pictures of the loop when you're done building it!

I've bought a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass, do NOT buy that case. The airflow is horrible!

I've heard, I've always liked the look of the Corsair Crystal series, so I'll look at those. Nothing else really tickles my fancy at the moment, and the selection can be  quite limited out here.

Try to do as much homework as you can on the case where you want to build your loop in :)

Some beautiful cases build much easier than other cases :) 

Much luck with finding a nice case for your loop!

Have a nice day.