Nikon camera reccomendations?

My family has a Nikon D50 with 4 or 5 lenses that I use to take pictures and do stop motion. The camera is still working well, but it is missing several features that I see on newer models such as video recording, live view for stop motion, and the ability to use an SD card bigger than 2gb. Is there a Nikon that has those features and the features of the D50 like autofocus, but is under $700-$800? What is the best camera for that price range?

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

I'd recommend you a D5300/5500/5600, depending on the deals you get. Solid choices, work really well for me and the d50 lenses should work on the d5300 and up

Maybe if you get a really good deal you could get even a d7x00 body in that price range, consider used too

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

4 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I'd recommend you a D5300/5500/5600, depending on the deals you get. Solid choices, work really well for me and the d50 lenses should work on the d5300

I was looking at those, they seem great, autofocus is the one thing (I was reading that the D50 was one of the only entry-level Nikons with autofocus). So they don't come with autofocus? That's the one thing that would be great to have.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

I was looking at those, they seem great, autofocus is the one thing (I was reading that the D50 was one of the only entry-level cameras with autofocus). So they don't come with autofocus? That's the one thing that would be great to have.

They of course come with af, there's probably no body out there right now that doesn't have af.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

They of course come with af, there's probably no body out there right now that doesn't have af.

Oh great! Thanks for the info!

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

Oh great! Thanks for the info!

No problem

he only thing that the 5xxx series doesn't have is a integrated focus motor as the standard has moved forward to lenses include the motor not the body. Though thats only a problem if you have a really really old lens collection, it's probably since 2000 or even more that the lenses include the focus motor

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

I don't know what lenses you have, but to be on the safe side, do NOT buy a d5x00 or d3x00 camera, because if you have a d50 it is likely you also have lenses without an in body AF motor, if not, it would still be useful to have a body with an in body AF motor since you can get some very nice older nikkor lenses. 

Your budget would be enough for a used d7200 or even some of Nikon's Full frame models, I'm sure you could find a d800 for that sort of money, which has a 36mp Full frame sensor and would be better than a d3x00 or d5x00 series, with the exception of features like wifi or a touchscreen, which to be honest, it still depends on which entry level nikon you buy.  Or failing that a d600 or even d610 could probably be found in ebay for that sort of money.

If you want list the lenses you have here, we may be able to tell you if you will lose AF functionality with any of them. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

11 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I don't know what lenses you have, but to be on the safe side, do NOT buy a d5x00 or d3x00 camera, because if you have a d50 it is likely you also have lenses without an in body AF motor, if not, it would still be useful to have a body with an in body AF motor since you can get some very nice older nikkor lenses. 

Your budget would be enough for a used d7200 or even some of Nikon's Full frame models, I'm sure you could find a d800 for that sort of money, which has a 36mp Full frame sensor and would be better than a d3x00 or d5x00 series, with the exception of features like wifi or a touchscreen, which to be honest, it still depends on which entry level nikon you buy.  Or failing that a d600 or even d610 could probably be found in ebay for that sort of money.

If you want list the lenses you have here, we may be able to tell you if you will lose AF functionality with any of them. 

3 of the lenses I have are Nikon brand with AF-S on them, the other is a Tamaron (it seems to be this one) that seems to be autofocus, so I should be good to go.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

3 of the lenses I have are Nikon brand with AF-S on them, the other is a Tamaron (it seems to be this one) that seems to be autofocus, so I should be good to go.

Be that as it may, I would still personally go with one of the cameras I mentioned above given your budget. You obviously know how to use a camera if you've been using the d50 for all this time, so I see no reason why you should go with an entry level. A d800 might indeed be overkill, but the d7200 is great little camera, it isn't even that old. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Thanks everyone, I have some great things to look at now!

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

A used D7200 would be a nice choice imo

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"