Need advice on a reasonably secure server

Sinisterface

Im looking to set up a reasonably secure file server to make it easier to do work at home (involves primary school but no names or children information will be on it, the schools server only lets so many people on at once and its such a pain), files are only word excel power point... etc and i don't know whether im better buying a cheap nas unit or building one. I dont currently have any spare hardware lying around and i haven't really got a clue about servers. Advice on hardware and software would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If it's just used for file storage, an older Dell OptiPlex can be had for free and would make a perfectly fine NAS. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

8 minutes ago, StewartN93 said:

Im looking to set up a reasonably secure file server to make it easier to do work at home (involves primary school but no names or children information will be on it, the schools server only lets so many people on at once and its such a pain), files are only word excel power point... etc and i don't know whether im better buying a cheap nas unit or building one. I dont currently have any spare hardware lying around and i haven't really got a clue about servers. Advice on hardware and software would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If it's at home and the only person that will use it is you ... I would just get a big capacity USB drive or USB HDD/SSD.

If you really want a NAS then the simple solution is to buy one, it won't have all the advanced features but it will do the job. having said that though a old computer with a big enough drive in will do. Or you could try using a raspberry pi, it's good fun. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 hour ago, StewartN93 said:

Thanks in advance

That's kind of an interesting setup.

When you're at work, do you have any problems accessing the file servers locally there? Or do they limit the "number of people" accessing it locally too?

Ideally, you'd just use a secure VPN connection to work directly from their servers. But if they won't allow that, or are limiting the number of active VPN connections, that might not work.

If you're gonna store work files locally at home, make sure the drive is fully encrypted. Most NAS software support this, and you can buy many external HDD's that support it as well. Furthermore, you can use a third party encryption program such as VeraCrypt (open source fork of ye ole TrueCrypt, but it's been audited for NSA backdoors, etc). VeraCrypt, and software like it, can work on any drive or volume.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

only remote access is limited, i think its because there is a limited number of logins to access the server remotely, so we all use different usernames and passwords but for some reason three to four people share a login as it were.

What do you actually need to use it for? What sort of work? Reason I ask is because I can't think of workloads related to a primary school that would require a server