New builder help

lordsquish

My parts are as follows:

Ryzen 3 1200

MSI B350m GAMING PRO

Ballistix 8gb 2666/mhz DDR4 RAM

GTX 950 (bought off a friend of mine)

EVGA 450w 80+ Bronze PSU

I’m at a loss and its been 3 days of me trying to figure things out on my own, I’ve rebuilt this PC 4 times and the result is the same. I don’t get a signal on my monitor and I’ve reinstalled my GPU about 4 times, the cables on it are connected correctly because the monitor knows its plugged in to something but it says no signal. And to top things all off my USB ports don’t recognize my mouse and keyboard but it DOES recognize normal USB sticks (like the one I have windows 10 on) but I can’t set anything up if my monitor doesn’t have an image.

My Idea: I believe its the GPU, I’m going to try to acquire another one as a test to see if it works out. I’ll post the results and see if anything else works.

Does it turn on when using the onboard graphics (vga, dvi, hdmi)?

My bad that is for 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ processors.

Try with another GPU or test the 950 on another computer if you can.

Edited by Positive7

3 minutes ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

Since you said you're new I just wanted to confirm, did you plug the monitors into the gpu or the motherboard?
I've seen a lot of people make that mistake before.
As for the USB issue where are your keyboard and mouse plugged into? The Rear I/O or front panel?

Yes, I plugged it in to my GPU, and i’ve tried every USB port.

11 minutes ago, Positive7 said:

Does it turn on when using the onboard graphics (vga, dvi, hdmi)?

My bad that is for 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ processors.

Try with another GPU or test the 950 on another computer if you can.

Yeah, I’ll test it out if I can. I’ll post the results here tomorrow because its currently 1 AM at the moment

21 minutes ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

Did you plug in your gpus power?
Also how do you know the devices aren't being recognized if you're not getting anything on the monitors?

I did plug in my GPU’s power, and everytime I plug in my DVI to my GPU my monitor switches screens from check video cable to no signal. To me that means that the monitor is not getting a signal from my GPU (but I dont know). Its worth noting that the GPU fans start to spin and eventually stop after 12 seconds, I’m like slowly becoming more and more sure that its my GPU that’s the problem.

2 minutes ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

I recently worked with a very similar DDR4 motherboard and recall the RAM being a bit finicky to be fully installed. Have you made sure your RAM is secure?
Also, have you made sure your mobo is fully powered? (Some motherboards have an additional 8 pin as well as the 24 pin)

The RAM should be secure as I wait for the clicks, as for the mobo power by 8 pin you mean the cables labeled CPU right? If so then yes they are connected

Gtx 950 fans won't spin until it reaches 60c. And yes^^ this mobo requires another 8pin.

1 minute ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

Have you tried different cables OP?
or a different monitor?
Did the GPU work before your friend sold it to you?

-no

-no

-yes

Just now, M00NMUFFIN said:

Do you have the GPU plugged into the correct PCI-E slot?
Is your CPU Fan spinning up when you *boot* the pc?

Double yes

I would say some pictures would give us assurance that everything is installed properly. I once had a friend plug the 8 pin cpu power connector into his gpu without thinking about it. though, you say you have a 950, which I assume has a 6 pin power connector. Anyway, it is probably a good idea to take some pictures.

Also, does you r system power on? like, do the fans spin? no beeping from the motherboard?

Just now, J400 said:

I would say some pictures would give us assurance that everything is installed properly. I once had a friend plug the 8 pin cpu power connector into his gpu without thinking about it. though, you say you have a 950, which I assume has a 6 pin power connector. Anyway, it is probably a good idea to take some pictures.

Also, does you r system power on? like, do the fans spin? no beeping from the motherboard?

My system does power on yes, everything starts up and spins but no there is no beeping.

Also, you said you didn't try another monitor. Idk if you used another device on the monitor before, but it might be worth plugging it into something else to see what you can do.

If none of these things work, try another video card. if that doesn't work, your cpu might be dead.

Also another thing, unplug your front panel power connectors from the motherboard and start it with a screw driver. I have seen in the past where the power button has put a system in a boot loop, and watched people rma everything only to find out the case was the problem all along.

7 minutes ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

I definitely second this.

I was making sure everything was plugged in and I found this, this is the 8 pin for my mobo and the top middle plastic part is damaged but the pins are still in place, could this be the culprit?

8153506F-AC2D-46FA-BACF-549B4E0C17C5.jpeg

5 minutes ago, J400 said:

Also, you said you didn't try another monitor. Idk if you used another device on the monitor before, but it might be worth plugging it into something else to see what you can do.

If none of these things work, try another video card. if that doesn't work, your cpu might be dead.

Also another thing, unplug your front panel power connectors from the motherboard and start it with a screw driver. I have seen in the past where the power button has put a system in a boot loop, and watched people rma everything only to find out the case was the problem all along.

How do I start it with a screwdriver? Is that even safe?

1 minute ago, lordsquish said:

How do I start it with a screwdriver? Is that even safe?

the two pins that connect the power on and off switch start the system when tripped. all you have to do is brige the connection between the two pins with a piece of metal. as long as you aren't jamming the screwdriver into the motherboard like a mad person, there is little to no risk of harming your system.

as for the 8 pin cpu header, I don't think that would be causing any issues, but you should probably look inside the 8 pin cable and make sure the plastic isn't jammed in front of one of the pins. if it is, then you have probably found the problem.

5 minutes ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

Using your user manual as a reference guide find out which pins on the mobo are labeled PWR + and PWR- or simply PWR. Remove the connector from the area those pins are located, then using a flat-head screwdriver, "jump" the system by bridging said pins. Yes, it's safe, and yes it's normal to think it's not.

As for the 8 pin, make sure the broken off plastic isn't anywhere that could effect those pins connecting, be it in the 8 pin area or even inside the cable from your psu.

4 minutes ago, J400 said:

the two pins that connect the power on and off switch start the system when tripped. all you have to do is brige the connection between the two pins with a piece of metal. as long as you aren't jamming the screwdriver into the motherboard like a mad person, there is little to no risk of harming your system.

as for the 8 pin cpu header, I don't think that would be causing any issues, but you should probably look inside the 8 pin cable and make sure the plastic isn't jammed in front of one of the pins. if it is, then you have probably found the problem.

I did not find any plastic inside the cable or the header, and as for the jump, I did it and nothing changed :/

1 minute ago, M00NMUFFIN said:

Alright so it still spun up the fans?
Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet?

Walk me through the CMOS please and yes the fans spun up

1 minute ago, lordsquish said:

Walk me through the CMOS please and yes the fans spun up

I have that exact motherboard. the same way you tripped the power connector to turn on the pc, you will do for the cmos. there should be 2 pins just above the top of the video card, they look just like the power pins. touch them with the screw driver, and hold for a few second. that should clear it.

6 minutes ago, J400 said:

I have that exact motherboard. the same way you tripped the power connector to turn on the pc, you will do for the cmos. there should be 2 pins just above the top of the video card, they look just like the power pins. touch them with the screw driver, and hold for a few second. that should clear it.

Where exactly are the pins?0DD40EA1-982E-4A68-BF40-92E2F1A0F2C8.thumb.jpeg.2baa497f4d304047e554d1f3d81029cc.jpeg

directly under the left ram slot, right between the gpu and the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, J400 said:

directly under the left ram slot, right between the gpu and the motherboard.

Sneaky little devil, power on or off?

618E8C4B-F829-476E-BA15-D07EAC7F5B12.jpeg

2 minutes ago, J400 said:

make sure the power is off when you touch it.

Not even sure if I did it right but if I did then it didn’t work. Im gonna try it again for good measure

if you bridged the pins, it reset the bios. if it didn't work, than it isn't a bios related issue.

Looks like you will have to move on to testing another video card and another display.