Looking for guiddance

Jason_S

I am currently on (and have been since 2009):

Phenom 2 x4 965 BE  

Asus Crosshair Formula 3 

16 GB DDr3 1600 (Corsair branded I think)

Asus Strix RX470 8GB (This replaced a pair of Radeon HD 4650's early last year.)

80gb SSD for OS

2x 500gb WD Black

Corsair Bronze 850W PS

Raven 2 Case

This system has lasted me far longer than I expected, and it still runs most of the games I desire to play at tolerable settings.

I've been split between updating to a newer am3+ motherboard and CPU and keeping everything else and doing a new build. For a new build I was debating a Ryzen 5 1600X based system and living with the current GPU until I can't, or until prices become a little more consumer friendly.  All the recent hype around the Ryzen APUs has caused me to stop and take a look at an APU.  Is it possible that the Ryzen APU will help me string my RX 470 along until I am willing to shell out for a better card? 

I don't think I have a preference between AMD and Intel, but I always seem to end up with an AMD based system.

Just so you are clear on this as it sounded like you may not be.. You cannot use the APU alongside a dedicated GPU so it would not string it along in any way. 

23 minutes ago, trevrez said:

Just so you are clear on this as it sounded like you may not be.. You cannot use the APU alongside a dedicated GPU so it would not string it along in any way. 

Thanks, I had missed that.

Btw good job on getting almost 10 years out of your current system.  

It does sound like it's time for an upgrade.  DDR4 prices aren't cheap right now and if you are going with a Ryzen based build you will want to aim for the fastest memory you can fit into the budget.  

Wouldn’t the api give you a better experience than the 470? 

Atleast if if you invest everything into a great AM3-4 mobo and the ryzen 3 apu you can in the future upgrade to something like an Gtx750ti which even tho its a couple of years old will give you great 1080p gaming even with some of the newer aaa games. 

Also the ruzen cpus from my personal experience are simply amazing

thats just my 10 cents worth lol

DAvid 

Just now, DocDave said:

Wouldn’t the api give you a better experience than the 470? 

Atleast if if you invest everything into a great AM3-4 mobo and the ryzen 3 apu you can in the future upgrade to something like an Gtx750ti which even tho its a couple of years old will give you great 1080p gaming even with some of the newer aaa games. 

Also the ruzen cpus from my personal experience are simply amazing

thats just my 10 cents worth lol

DAvid 

But the RX470 already beats out the 750Ti and the Ryzen APU's wouldn't come close.  

19 hours ago, trevrez said:

But the RX470 already beats out the 750Ti and the Ryzen APU's wouldn't come close.  

Kwl. That’s interesting to know. If he is just going for a 1080p machine surely good enough is worth going for? If you have read anything else I have put on here you will know I have no idea and just want to learn hahaha