Wireless mechanical? G613?

Nemockulous

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Wireless mechanical, currently considering the G613, but am unsure about the switches and replacement caps. Are replacement caps available for the Romer G switches? Opinions on the G613? Is there a better wireless mechanical? 

Suffering from a bit of information overload, so here's to getting some clarity!

There is not a lot of keycaps for Romer-g switches. Why not a wired keyboard with Cherry switches?

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

26 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There is not a lot of keycaps for Romer-g switches. Why not a wired keyboard with Cherry switches?

Because I vastly prefer a wireless keyboard for work. That's why I'm looking for one.

I'm trying to find a wireless keyboard for work too. Mechanical would be amazing, but I'm not sure I'm going to find one with the bells and whistles I want.

4 hours ago, ucrbuffalo said:

I'm trying to find a wireless keyboard for work too. Mechanical would be amazing, but I'm not sure I'm going to find one with the bells and whistles I want.

It's kind of what I'm realizing is right now I have to make some compromise. My home and gaming keyboard I could probably handle being wired, but my work one with my workflow and preference, it'd be a big hindrance. Hoping the G613 that I'm going to test out works well.

1. Romer-G

hi! I've owned a Romer-G keyboard (G910) more than a year ago. And I must say, they do feel different vs. regular mechanical switches.

IMO, they feel like rubber-domes, but work like mechanical. But that's just me.

My personal opinion is that they feel mushy kinda like in-between reds and browns.

I'm now on Gateron Browns and they feel so much better when typing.

but still, YMMV.

I also noticed that switches got "softer" over use. By that I meant it was getting too easy to actuate (like it would sometimes trigger with me just resting a finger

2. Romer-G replacement caps

Logitech DOES SELL replacement caps, but only for the G910 Orion Spark. But I would assume this will/should be compatible with any Romer-G board.

They sold this in response to most people not liking the stock polygonic (idk what to call it) gamery keycaps on the G910 haha.

3. Wireless Performance

If you're fine with Romer-G, then definitely the G613 is the best wireless keyboard for you.

It boasts a reeallllyyy looong battery life, albeit not being rechargeable. But hey, AAs are pretty cheap.

I own the partner mouse (G603) that runs on the same LIGHTSPEED™ protocol and so far I've been VERY happy with it's wireless performance.

I haven't had issues with interference (unlike my previous wireless mice).

If you don't like Romer-Gs, another keyboard you may want to consider is the Corsair K63 Wireless (Cherry switches, TKL layout, blue LEDs).

Compatible replacement keycaps should be easy to find seeing as it's sporting Cherry switches.

DYOR with regards to key layout though as it can sometimes pose a problem when buying keycap sets.

---------------------------------------------

BTW, I'm using an ANNE Pro, which is a Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard with RGB. Switches can be: Gateron Reds, Browns, and Blues.

Sadly the layout is only 60%, so if you need a full-layout for your workflow, definitely stay away.

It's super cheap too. Gaterons are Cherry clones so any cherry compatible keycap should be compatible.

Again, DYOR with regards to key layout.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

On 2/13/2018 at 11:54 PM, Noyu said:

1. Romer-G

hi! I've owned a Romer-G keyboard (G910) more than a year ago. And I must say, they do feel different vs. regular mechanical switches.

IMO, they feel like rubber-domes, but work like mechanical. But that's just me.

My personal opinion is that they feel mushy kinda like in-between reds and browns.

I'm now on Gateron Browns and they feel so much better when typing.

but still, YMMV.

I also noticed that switches got "softer" over use. By that I meant it was getting too easy to actuate (like it would sometimes trigger with me just resting a finger

2. Romer-G replacement caps

Logitech DOES SELL replacement caps, but only for the G910 Orion Spark. But I would assume this will/should be compatible with any Romer-G board.

They sold this in response to most people not liking the stock polygonic (idk what to call it) gamery keycaps on the G910 haha.

3. Wireless Performance

If you're fine with Romer-G, then definitely the G613 is the best wireless keyboard for you.

It boasts a reeallllyyy looong battery life, albeit not being rechargeable. But hey, AAs are pretty cheap.

I own the partner mouse (G603) that runs on the same LIGHTSPEED™ protocol and so far I've been VERY happy with it's wireless performance.

I haven't had issues with interference (unlike my previous wireless mice).

If you don't like Romer-Gs, another keyboard you may want to consider is the Corsair K63 Wireless (Cherry switches, TKL layout, blue LEDs).

Compatible replacement keycaps should be easy to find seeing as it's sporting Cherry switches.

DYOR with regards to key layout though as it can sometimes pose a problem when buying keycap sets.

---------------------------------------------

BTW, I'm using an ANNE Pro, which is a Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard with RGB. Switches can be: Gateron Reds, Browns, and Blues.

Sadly the layout is only 60%, so if you need a full-layout for your workflow, definitely stay away.

It's super cheap too. Gaterons are Cherry clones so any cherry compatible keycap should be compatible.

Again, DYOR with regards to key layout.

Appreciate the info. I'm going to give the Romer G's a try and see if I like them. Never had a mechanical, so not really spoiled yet by how other switches react. 

7 hours ago, Nemockulous said:

Never had a mechanical, so not really spoiled yet by how other switches react. 

ah then you will probably like the Romer-G's. At least for awhile.

Also try a real mechanical switch so you have a decent comparison.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, Nemockulous said:

Appreciate the info. I'm going to give the Romer G's a try and see if I like them. Never had a mechanical, so not really spoiled yet by how other switches react. 

how is your use of the romer-g's? I've actually just got mine today for work. and worried if the keycaps might fade after few months of use.