make windows 10 startup usb on ubuntu...

so i've been using linux for almost 5 years, and i always use the dd command when needing bootable usb's. 

however, i tried to make a bootable windows 10 usb, but upon booting i got the classic error, reboot computer and select proper boot device... 

i'm downloading a new iso now to see if my old one was broken, but if that doesn't work, are there any good tools other than dd to make bootable usb's?

She/Her

From my experience, Windows DOES NOT play well with dd, you’d be better off finding a utility for Linux to make Windows USBs. You may be able to get away with making the flash drive GPT and putting a FAT32 partition on it, and just copy pasting the contents of the ISO to the flash drive.

Not actually the database software, just some furry. Vintage tech enthusiast, has more old tech than they know what to do with.

Main system: i5-4690k, 16GB DDR3, 2x120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, CD-ROM Drive (in 2017 lol), R9 270X 2GB, Windows 7

Laptop: MacBookPro9,1, i7-3615QM, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, GT650M 512MB, macOS 10.13

What FoxPro suggest will not make a bootable USB drive (never).

What you need is an ISO image that is actually bootable from USB (possibly UEFI bootable these days). DD is perfectly fine with that, it is agnostic about what kind of file you are using. Chances are Microsoft does not provide such images ATM (but assume / insist you make the images on a Windows PC). Remember: ISO images are originally meant for CDs / DVDs, and "writing them" to a USB memory can always be considered a hack.

1 hour ago, Wild Penquin said:

What FoxPro suggest will not make a bootable USB drive (never).

What you need is an ISO image that is actually bootable from USB (possibly UEFI bootable these days). DD is perfectly fine with that, it is agnostic about what kind of file you are using. Chances are Microsoft does not provide such images ATM (but assume / insist you make the images on a Windows PC). Remember: ISO images are originally meant for CDs / DVDs, and "writing them" to a USB memory can always be considered a hack.

It actually does make a bootable USB for a UEFI system. I’ve done it whenever I didn’t have something like Rufus to make my Windows USBs. As far as I remember the UEFI just looks for a fat32 partition with some bootable files, which when you copy everything in the ISO it will have an EFI folder and the BIOS will see that. 

Not actually the database software, just some furry. Vintage tech enthusiast, has more old tech than they know what to do with.

Main system: i5-4690k, 16GB DDR3, 2x120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, CD-ROM Drive (in 2017 lol), R9 270X 2GB, Windows 7

Laptop: MacBookPro9,1, i7-3615QM, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, GT650M 512MB, macOS 10.13