The Ambitious Dream of Hitting 2.1GHz on a 1080Ti

KSP

I suppose 2.1GHz isn’t super rare for a 1080Ti, but coming from thinking 2.0GHz was great for a 1080Ti, it’s pretty ambitious for me :) .

So this is kind ok a update log/place for me to ask my questions, as I’m not exactly the best overclocked by any means. I’ll start off my posting my system specs.

CPU- i7 7700K @4.8GHz

Motherboard- ASUS Maximus IX Formula

CPU Cooler- NZXT Kraken X52

RAM- Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz

GPU- EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid

PSU- EVGA G3 1000watt

Storage- Samsung 960 Pro 512GB,

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB, WD Black 2TB

Case- The (highly airflow restrictive) Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG

Other- a lot of Corsair ML120 Fans

Now, let’s begin...

Upon receiving the card, I had left it stock for the greatest time. Mostly because I was too lazy to overclock. By itself, the card boosted to around 1960-1970MHz on load. Eventually one evening I went ahead and started playing with Precision X and used the following to achieve a +110 on the core and a +500 on the memory:

Power Target: 117%

Temp Target: 80C

GPU Clock Offset: +110MHz

MEM Clock Offset: +500MHz

Voltage Target: 100%

Doing this allowed the GPU to achieve 2088MHz (stable) and just over 6000MHz on the Memory. All of this and never hitting above 55C on the GPU, 55C on the Memory, and 60C on the Power. I was already extremely satisfied with this, I personally did not expect my GPU to even hit above 2.0GHz (because you know, lottery system, and let’s just say I don’t have the best of luck). I ran a few more tests and benchmarks just to make sure my card was stable, and went on my merry way playing my games and doing stupid stuff in GTA Online. But something about hitting the magical 2.1GHz was bugging me throughout. So, I tried it. I added a +125 on the core and ran FireStrike Ultra. Ran fine for a few seconds, then it just crashed, closing the application. I wasn’t disappointed because I hadn’t seen many 1080Tis hit 2.1GHz without a custom loop, or even above 2050MHz. So I dismissed the thought of 2.1GHz and continued doing stupid stuff in online multiplayer games.

But wait! There’s more!

Little did I know, I forgot to change my GPU from the default “Master” BIOS to the “Slave” BIOS... until yesterday, when I decided to take a good look at my GPU while I was loading into a game (yeah I know I’m weird). Now, as far as I know, the Slave BIOS allows the Power Target to be set at 127%, and maybe it changes a few other things to help the GPU overclock just that slightest bit better. So there I was, in my man cave, ready to take the side panel off my case and switch my GPU BIOS to Slave to unleash its full potential, but I happened to notice that it was 2:40AM....

Crap

You see, I get up at 6AM to head to work because traffic is just that bad. Now, I had to make the decision. Stay awake for an hour or two and try hitting 2.1GHz on the Slave BIOS, or be a good human being and get whatever sleep I could. Well, I choose to get whatever sleep I could. Fast forward and few hours and here I am now. I’m about to switch my GPU BIOS to Slave, but had a few questions:

What exactly does Slave allow the GPU to do?

Is there any harm in setting my Power Target to 127%?

Would increasing the Power Target to 127% help in my goal of hitting 2.1GHz?

I guess that’s about it. Thanks for any replies. I’ll try to keep this updated as soon as I start to (attempt to) hit 2.1GHz. Thanks all! Post any questions or comments if you have :) .

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

1 minute ago, KSP said:

Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Go ahead - if you fail just RMA the card.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

29 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Go ahead - if you fail just RMA the card.

Alrighty! It unfortunately looks like I’m gonna have to do the overclocking tomorrow. Something came up and I don’t have enough time to overclock. Will try my best to OC it tonight tho!

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Question: I have a GSync monitor, and whenever I run FireStrike or any 3DMark benchmark, i always get a warning/pop up saying that GSync may affect my scores. Is this true? Is there a way to disable GSync, because I can’t find a way to do so through my monitors onboard settings or through the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler