Rear USB power issue

TheTripleDeuce

rear usb ports randomly powering on and off

windows 10 pro x64

corsair tx750 psu, msi 790fx-gd70 motherboard, 16gb corsair vengence ddr3 ram

bios up to date

no error messages in event viewer or on screen

Use an informative title briefly describing the error. It's not helpful to see a thread titled "please help" or "Urgent" because most people are better at some problems than others, so may not prioritize your issue, and some people will ignore you completely.

basically when i plug anything into the red circled usb ports they become unstable but if i plug the same devices into the green circled usb ports they run stable for days, until i add anything to the red circled ports, the moment the red circled ones get any device added all ports lose power randomly keeping one or two devices on

big.jpg

I believe I have the same issue as you. I have an Asus P8Z77-V LK and there are a couple USB 3 ports that do stay stable but a few others that don't. When I had my external USB 3.0 hard drives were plugged into the "unstable ports", transferring files would usually end up failing because the power would get cut. 

I think it may a driver related issue where the motherboard uses 2 separate drivers from 2 separate companies but I could be wrong. I don't know if new motherboards need USB 3.0 drivers but with my mobo, I had to get USB 3.0 drivers for it. It's not built-in. 

Anyhow, I simply worked around the issue by having my external hard drives be plugged into the stable ports and my mouse/keyboard stuff plugged into the unstable ports. My "unstable" ports work fine with my mouse/keyboard so... 

17 minutes ago, TheTripleDeuce said:

rear usb ports randomly powering on and off

windows 10 pro x64

corsair tx750 psu, msi 790fx-gd70 motherboard, 16gb corsair vengence ddr3 ram

bios up to date

no error messages in event viewer or on screen

Use an informative title briefly describing the error. It's not helpful to see a thread titled "please help" or "Urgent" because most people are better at some problems than others, so may not prioritize your issue, and some people will ignore you completely.

basically when i plug anything into the red circled usb ports they become unstable but if i plug the same devices into the green circled usb ports they run stable for days, until i add anything to the red circled ports, the moment the red circled ones get any device added all ports lose power randomly keeping one or two devices on

big.jpg

You probably just need to install some new drivers for them from you motherboard manufacture's page. Could also be a driver that's not compatible with the version of windows you're on.

There also may be some bios settings worth looking at.

Not sure on MSI but there are settings like legacy USB mode that allows USB 2.0 devices to work in USB 3.0 ports. Only problem is that sometimes this causes the 3.0 ports to start acting like 2.0 ports any time you plug anything into the 2.0 ones. I've seen that once or twice.

There's also a settings sometimes that has some options like "full initialization, partial initialization, etc". That's how it's firing this stuff up on boot. Full initialization means it firing up all of your USBs before windows even boots up.

Some stuff to mess with anyways.

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

I believe I have the same issue as you. I have an Asus P8Z77-V LK and there are a couple USB 3 ports that do stay stable but a few others that don't. When I had my external USB 3.0 hard drives were plugged into the "unstable ports", transferring files would usually end up failing because the power would get cut. 

I think it may a driver related issue where the motherboard uses 2 separate drivers from 2 separate companies but I could be wrong. I don't know if new motherboards need USB 3.0 drivers but with my mobo, I had to get USB 3.0 drivers for it. It's not built-in. 

Anyhow, I simply worked around the issue by having my external hard drives be plugged into the stable ports and my mouse/keyboard stuff plugged into the unstable ports. My "unstable" ports work fine with my mouse/keyboard so... 

i tried that workaround but the moment any unstable one gets powered for a mouse or usb drive or anything it lasts like 5 minutes then everything has to be unplugged and plugged back in to register power again(all drivers installd via 1st party support site)

1 minute ago, TheTripleDeuce said:

i tried that workaround but the moment any unstable one gets powered for a mouse or usb drive or anything it lasts like 5 minutes then everything has to be unplugged and plugged back in to register power again(all drivers installd via 1st party support site)

Oh yeah that totally happens with my motherboard as well. This is the post I was reading up just now: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318215-30-intel-ports-working-asus-p8z77 and while it probably might not apply to your motherboard specifically, I think it's fairly related. I'm surprised this issue came up though because I haven't noticed anyone else having this issue so I thought I was a one-off for the longest time. I couldn't figure it out haha. 

I don't think I'd follow "installing it off the mobo disc" but this explanation sorta makes sense for my mobo. It could apply to yours:

I had the same problem, the culprit is that some of the USB 3.0 ports on this mobo use the intel driver, and some use the "Asmedia" driver. Install both off your mobo disc and everything should work fine.

2 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Oh yeah that totally happens with my motherboard as well. This is the post I was reading up just now: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318215-30-intel-ports-working-asus-p8z77 and while it probably might not apply to your motherboard specifically, I think it's fairly related. I'm surprised this issue came up though because I haven't noticed anyone else having this issue so I thought I was a one-off for the longest time. I couldn't figure it out haha. 

I don't think I'd follow "installing it off the mobo disc" but this explanation sorta makes sense for my mobo. It could apply to yours:

the funny thing is all i did was swap cases it was working fine in my old case but the new one has issues, same hardware and everything and since its rear IO the 8pin mobo power lead should be enough like it was before, i was feeling it might be PSU related but since the same peripherals stay stable in the 4 marked ports just fine and assumingly take same amount of power if not more than the other marked ports i dont believe it to be PSU issue, ive tried everything i could think of to rememdy the situation, im debating just buying a powered usb hub lol

3 minutes ago, TheTripleDeuce said:

the funny thing is all i did was swap cases it was working fine in my old case but the new one has issues, same hardware and everything and since its rear IO the 8pin mobo power lead should be enough like it was before, i was feeling it might be PSU related but since the same peripherals stay stable in the 4 marked ports just fine and assumingly take same amount of power if not more than the other marked ports i dont believe it to be PSU issue, ive tried everything i could think of to rememdy the situation, im debating just buying a powered usb hub lol

That is so...weird. I also swapped my case. I built my first PC on my own 4 years back after doing a bunch of research and I'm still using mostly the same build. I've swapped out parts over time and have also moved. I couldn't move my full tower case (i didn't know better and bought a full tower NZXT Switch 810) onto a plane so I just gave it to a friend who needed it for his girlfriend's build. I moved my pc parts and bought a Fractal Define R5... my motherboard totally retains the same issues with the USB ports haha. 

But yeah that's really weird how even with extra power to the mobo and no other changes made... that it wouldn't work after a case swap. Could it have been any other factors like an OS reinstallation? 

Just now, tomoki said:

That is so...weird. I also swapped my case. I built my first PC on my own 4 years back after doing a bunch of research and I'm still using mostly the same build. I've swapped out parts over time and have also moved. I couldn't move my full tower case (i didn't know better and bought a full tower NZXT Switch 810) onto a plane so I just gave it to a friend who needed it for his girlfriend's build. I moved my pc parts and bought a Fractal Define R5... my motherboard totally retains the same issues with the USB ports haha. 

But yeah that's really weird how even with extra power to the mobo and no other changes made... that it wouldn't work after a case swap. Could it have been any other factors like an OS reinstallation? 

thats freaky lol but yeah i had to reinstall windows on a non ssd for the case swap sadly i cant reinstall windows cause plex would need massive love and care again as the new home for the parts is plex server

1 minute ago, TheTripleDeuce said:

thats freaky lol but yeah i had to reinstall windows on a non ssd for the case swap sadly i cant reinstall windows cause plex would need massive love and care again as the new home for the parts is plex server

Haha that could be the issue right? It might not be your PSU. I'm really thinking it's more driver related. 

Oh yeah ~ over black friday, our family bought a new TV to replace our 25+ year old CRT TV. I installed the plex media server program onto my computer and it doesn't have enough juice to run both games and still be able to support the server itself. I'm just waiting to see how Ryzen 2 goes :) 

1 hour ago, tomoki said:

Haha that could be the issue right? It might not be your PSU. I'm really thinking it's more driver related. 

Oh yeah ~ over black friday, our family bought a new TV to replace our 25+ year old CRT TV. I installed the plex media server program onto my computer and it doesn't have enough juice to run both games and still be able to support the server itself. I'm just waiting to see how Ryzen 2 goes :) 

ive actually jumped from a amd phenom x6 1100t to a ryzen 5 1600 (on non plex rig)

just took pc apart put er back together make sure everything HW wise is seated properly gonna try and reinstall drivers again just incase