7700K Undervolt

Siq

Heya guys.

I've had my 7700K at 1.18v at 4.8Ghz since I got the chip without any struggles. Normally 30+-5 degrees without things running and up to 75 degrees max load over an extended period of time.

Is this healthy for the chip? Pretty sure that voltage is lower than when I first got it. Would it be worth increasing it and upping speeds or leave it as is?

| i'm bad at games, but play them anyways |

A lower voltage (that still boots and doesn't crash) is always healthy, as it's putting less strain on the silicon within the CPU and keeping the temps lower, and could also mean you can reach higher OC's at lower voltages compared to others.

The lower voltages you can get, the better. 4.8Ghz at 1.18 volts is damn good haha, you could probably push a pretty high OC on that chip, just based on your current settings.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

If it is doing things well enough for you don't touch it.

No need to get higher temps without any meaningful reason.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

A lower voltage (that still boots and doesn't crash) is always healthy, as it's putting less strain on the silicon within the CPU, and could mean you can reach higher OC's at lower voltages compared to others.

The lower voltages you can get, the better. 4.8Ghz at 1.18 volts is pretty f***ing good haha, you could probably push a pretty high OC on that chip, just based on your current settings.

Yeah, was my first overclock, and I got around the speed I did want, but was always pretty pedantic about temps and crashes because well, I'm just a poor uni student who games lmao. Temps sit around 60 degrees with the games I play but always saw people hitting 5Ghz.

3 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

If it is doing things well enough for you don't touch it.

No need to get higher temps without any meaningful reason.

You're right too. It does what I need it to do. It's my first overclock and I might have been a bit excited to try more. 

Just now, Canada EH said:

how much longer would it really last?

I don't really get what you're pointing at here.

5 minutes ago, Siq said:

Yeah, was my first overclock, and I got around the speed I did want, but was always pretty pedantic about temps and crashes because well, I'm just a poor uni student who games lmao. Temps sit around 60 degrees with the games I play but always saw people hitting 5Ghz.

For a first OC it's pretty good.

I'd have a guess you could hit 5Ghz at about 1.3-1.35v or so, if you wanna try that it's up to you, but no harm in trying honestly, especially if temps are within a good range(my personal max is about 75C under load, but up to 80-85 is good with your chip)

If anything the OC will fail and reset itself to stock settings, or you'll have to clear the CMOS to stock settings yourself.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Siq said:

It's my first overclock and I might have been a bit excited to try more. 

Not bad for the first time.

If you feel like trying to get higher clocks you can certainly try it (for like cinebench score), but then revert to these setting for 24/7.

That's what I did with my i7, pushed it 4.8 with 1.365V, did few benchmarks, and then reverted to stock.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

15 minutes ago, Siq said:

I don't really get what you're pointing at here.

undervolt = longer life span of cpu due to reduced heat damage over time

how much longer would the cpu last undervolting?

in stock form it would last 20+ yrs, so why bother?

21 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

For a first OC it's pretty good.

I'd have a guess you could hit 5Ghz at about 1.3-1.35v or so, if you wanna try that it's up to you, but no harm in trying honestly, especially if temps are within a good range(my personal max is about 75C under load, but up to 80-85 is good with your chip)

If anything the OC will fail and reset itself to stock settings, or you'll have to clear the CMOS to stock settings yourself.

Yeah fair enough. I remember when first trying to overclock I set it to my motherboard preset for 4.8Ghz and voltages weren't changed, but went right up to 1.2-1.3, temps were crazy, in the high 80's. 
I might save a profile for the settings I have and give it a nudge to see where I can get it for the experience. I did a lot of research and asking around but nothing beats hands on experience.

23 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

Not bad for the first time.

If you feel like trying to get higher clocks you can certainly try it (for like cinebench score), but then revert to these setting for 24/7.

That's what I did with my i7, pushed it 4.8 with 1.365V, did few benchmarks, and then reverted to stock.

I think this is a good idea in conjunction with my comment above this one, I might see where I can get it and then just take it back after testing temps. 

I don't know what i7 you used, but 1.365v sounds high from what I've read.

13 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

undervolt = longer life span of cpu due to reduced heat damage over time

how much longer would the cpu last undervolting?

in stock form it would last 20+ yrs, so why bother?

I mean, I undervolted with a higher speed while doing tests and trying to lower temps. wasn't intended to make the cpu last longer. I'd definitely upgrade within a 20 year mark... in-fact like, the next 5 years at maximum most likely.