Moving fresh drive from PC to laptop?

benga

Will I run into problems if I use my desktop to install Windows on an SSD then move the SSD to a Dell Inspiron 3520?

My desktop is:
FX-4100

GTX 960

You may run into some driver issues along the way but otherwise it should be fairly functional.

Yes, during setup Windows detects hardware and installs drivers. Once you move the drive over the hardware will be different and the drivers incorrect.

It will probably work but there's a chance it will just BSOD and refuse to boot too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It should be ok, windows will install most of the drivers for you. I'd only download network drivers for your laptop just in case it is not recognized. But as long as you have internet, windows should install the rest for you

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Also, don't activate windows until it's in your laptop. Windows is really fiddly when it comes to hardware changes.

Sounds like it'll be hit or miss and some hiccups if it does work but ill give it a shot using windows 10 installation media tool and then install it in the laptop. I've moved my personal drive to a friends computer which was intel cpu and amd graphics and it works perfectly but a laptop makes me feel like it's going to be a mess.

The best thing would be to do is make windows usb stick then install every thing on your Dell.

um the question is if its a 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch drive

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

um the question is if its a 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch drive

they're both 2.5