Best Placement For Ubiquiti AC LR?

AlanAlan
On 2/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, mynameisjuan said:

A controller is needed for any decent handoffs. AP handoffs are usually pretty shit as without a controller it has no clue what the connection strength is to the other APs to have a smooth handoff. 

On 2/4/2018 at 6:51 PM, scottyseng said:

Ah, you mean the handoff feature. It's not required for the controller to be running for that. The APs are pretty much programmed and manage that themselves.

You only really need unifi controller running 24/7 if you want alerts / stats (which are cool to see)

On 2/4/2018 at 6:46 PM, intertan said:

isn't it recommended to help the transfer from ap to ap?

Should I upgrade my firmware on my AP?

I am currently on 3.7.58.6385 and the update is to 3.9.19.8123

2 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

Should I upgrade my firmware on my AP?

I am currently on 3.7.58.6385 and the update is to 3.9.19.8123

Yeah, it's good to keep it up to date.

6 hours ago, intertan said:

It’s always a good thing to keep things updated 

5 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, it's good to keep it up to date.

Do you guys know how I can make a 5ghz specific network on my AP?

23 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Do you guys know how I can make a 5ghz specific network on my AP?

Well, personally I prefer keeping it to one network and just letting the devices auto choose between the two.
You can also set the AP to tell devices to prefer 5GHz.
Else, all you need to do is give the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz networks different names and you'll have two separate networks.

20 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Well, personally I prefer keeping it to one network and just letting the devices auto choose between the two.
You can also set the AP to tell devices to prefer 5GHz.
Else, all you need to do is give the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz networks different names and you'll have two separate networks.

How can I set my devices to a specifically to 5GHz? Because my laptop and phone keeps jump back and forth from 2.4 and 5 GHz?

3 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

How can I set my devices to a specifically to 5GHz? Because my laptop and phone keeps jump back and forth from 2.4 and 5 GHz?

Sadly it's up to the device to choose when you have both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz on the same network. I usually lower the power of the 2.4 Ghz network and have the 5GHz network stand out and my devices just prefer that.

If you want the devices to be specific to 5GHz, it's better to separate out the two bands into two different WiFi networks.

3 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Sadly it's up to the device to choose when you have both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz on the same network. I usually lower the power of the 2.4 Ghz network and have the 5GHz network stand out and my devices just prefer that.

If you want the devices to be specific to 5GHz, it's better to separate out the two bands into two different WiFi networks.

Then how can I lower the power of the 2.4GHz ?

Go to devices, click on your access point, it pops up on the right side. You should see a config tab. Expand the Radio section and change the transmit power for the 2.4G network to low or medium. Then Change the 5GHz to High. Use a app like WiFi analyzer to check the signal strength of the two bands.

Finally, expand the Band Steering box (below the Radio box) and change it to "Prefer 5G"

Oh, if you have multiple APs, you can change the min Rssi value so if you have a stubborn device that doesn't want to change APs, this will kick the device off the AP when the strength goes below this signal (I have mine set to 85dB). The device will then switch to the closer AP.

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Go to devices, click on your access point, it pops up on the right side. You should see a config tab. Expand the Radio section and change the transmit power for the 2.4G network to low or medium. Then Change the 5GHz to High. Use a app like WiFi analyzer to check the signal strength of the two bands.

Finally, expand the Band Steering box (below the Radio box) and change it to "Prefer 5G"

Oh, if you have multiple APs, you can change the min Rssi value so if you have a stubborn device that doesn't want to change APs, this will kick the device off the AP when the strength goes below this signal (I have mine set to 85dB). The device will then switch to the closer AP.

Will this weaken the signal strength of the network?

13 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Will this weaken the signal strength of the network?

The 2.4GHz, yes, but not by much. You can play with the settings to see how much you need to lower it. You just want the 2.4 GHz network to be weaker than the 5GHz. Of course only do this if you have ample coverage already. I have two AC Pros for my house (which is pretty overkill), so I can get away with this.

Use WiFi analyzer to keep track of how many dB you lose. Also note if anyone uses a microwave, the 2.4GHz network will get massive interference.

Oh, don't crank both networks to full signal strength. You can cause a situation where the AP can send out a loud signal but the device isn't strong enough to reply back in range.