What is causing my bottleneck?

keskparane

I recently upgraded some hardware.

My old system was i5 4590, 2 x 8 1866 RAM, 2 x 256 SATA SSD, GTX1080Ti

My new system is i7 8700, 2 x 8 2400 RAM, 1 x 512 NVMe SSD, GTX1080Ti

Now here's the thing. My new system noticeably hangs sometimes when the GPU is very busy despite resource monitor showing GPU as only thing working. When it happens CPU, memory, and SSD usage is low. I don't remember my old system ever feeling like it was hanging. I can't simply put the GTX back into the old system to test because I only have 1 PSU with 8 pin EDS cable for motherboard, so when I upgraded I changed some parts around (including motherboard in old system) so it's quite a big task.

Now when I say hang it's small microsecond stuttering. I can't smoothly move windows around, sometimes local music files will break for a very short time, browser will respond slowly. But these are all things running in my secondary monitor which is powered by iGPU. 

So any idea what is causing the hang?. Or how can I diagnose when nothing other than the GPU is busy?

Also just realized I posted this in storage devices. If a mod want's to move it somewhere more appropriate then please do.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

11 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I can't smoothly move windows around, sometimes local music files will break for a very short time, browser will respond slowly. But these are all things running in my secondary monitor which is powered by iGPU.

if you have a gtx 1080 why are you using the igpu for anything , if it only happen when using the igpu then stop using it

Just now, emosun said:

if you have a gtx 1080 why are you using the igpu for anything , if it only happen when using the igpu then stop using it

Because why not? When gpu is maxed out on primary monitor I have igpu to run secondary. From a quick google I understood that the igpu does not make much difference to cpu, and even it it did since cpu isn't maxed out why add the extra load on the gpu?

And don't forget that I do not remember ever having this problem on the old system.

However it is easy to swap so I will test it.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Tested running both monitors from gpu. Same if not worse.

are you disabling the igpu or just leaving it running and not restarting the machine at any point

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you disabling the igpu or just leaving it running and not restarting the machine at any point

The lazy way. Sigh. I guess I'd better do the full hog. BRB.

But don't forget that I do not remember ever having this problem on the old system.

3 minutes ago, keskparane said:

But don't forget that I do not remember ever having this problem on the old system.

Yeah well dont forget , this isn't the old system. 

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah well dont forget , this isn't the old system. 

Exactly. So what new component is the cause of the problem?

Motherboard?

CPU?

RAM?

SSD?

Windows ver? Was W10 Home (upgraded from win 8) now Win 10pro.

So yeah disabled igpu in bios. Still doing what it was.

I really can't help thinking it's got something to do with nvme running on pcie.

Just tried throttling the gpu power and temp so it couldn't reach 100%. According to Aorus app that I used to throttle with the gpu only reached max 38%. Problem still there.

As a side note I noticed that windows said 97% gpu usage. So I guess windows % is based on the % comparison with other processes & not the actual gpu usage (which is what I thought it was showing).

Well that changes everything. Now I'm totally stumped. Now that I know that windows task manager is not reporting the actually gpu usage I realize that this problem is happening when not a single component is maxed out.

So after further investigation I believe the initial cause of the problem is hard page faults. This of course leads to disk access. So I am still thinking that my new nvme ssd is less responsive than my old sata ssd.