USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector on Asus PRIME X399-A

I have one of these on my shiny new motherboard but my existing case does not have any such sockets on it. Are there front drive bay adapters around that actually use the Gen 2 front panel connector on the motherboard to give front panel sockets? All the ones I've found so far use the Gen 1 header instead.

"USB3.1 Gen 2" is technically USB3.1 (SuperSpeed+ 10Gbps).
"USB3.1 Gen 1" is technically USB3.0 (SuperSpeed 5Gbps).

"Gen 2" and "Gen 1" were just techy/marketing terms adopted into common (mis)usage, although they've now been (unofficially) referenced by name in official USB specification revisions and it seems like they're here to stay.

You'll be happy to know that USB3.0 and USB3.1 use physically/electrically identical ports, connectors, and cables. Specifically designed for full intercompatibility. The differences between these two USB3 revisions are based on faster signal clocks and reduced error-checking overheads. USB3.1 specifications *recommend* using thicker-gauge wires with thicker-grade insulation to ensure maximum signal integrity at peak transmission speeds, but this isn't strictly necessary and (because it costs more) it seems to rarely be implemented on the majority of certified "USB3.1 Gen 2" cables and devices anyhow.

So any PC chassis with any USB3.0 front ports should properly support "USB3.1 Gen 2" devices and bandwidths.

Type-A receptacles (and Type-A plugs) are the most common, and they're invariably that awful "Pantone Blue 300C" colour *recommended* in the USB3.0 specification (to proudly show that they're not cheap, slow, yucky old USB2 ports).
But Type-C receptacles (and Type-C plugs) are starting to gain some traction. I haven't yet seen any PC cases with front panel Type-C ports, but I have seen a few manufacturer and aftermarket kits for replacing Type-A ports with Type-C ports.

found this on https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95224-USB-3-1-Gen-2-front-panel-connector-Cases   ~~ maybe useful?

I suppose I could just get the bay adapter things I've seen, but I wanted to get the higher speed..

6 minutes ago, Armand_Karlsen said:

I suppose I could just get the bay adapter things I've seen, but I wanted to get the higher speed..

How do you even saturate that? I'm impressed 

2 hours ago, Mr_IICaTz said:

How do you even saturate that? I'm impressed 

I may well not saturate it, but it'd be nice to have the capability of a Gen 2 port at the front of the case. That said, I've never actually seen any accessories that use the internal Gen 2 connector on the motherboard; I've only seen stuff that uses the 3.0/3.1/Gen 1 20-pin header.