WD M.2 Bottleneck ?

Danni

Hello Community, I recently moved over to pc gaming for long-term costs.

I implemented a WD 240GB Green M.2 Solid State Drive, and the read and write speeds I am managing to get off it from and too another device as well as just different directories on the M.2.

My Read / Write speeds when transferring one big file seem to not exceed between 80-130MB onto an external storage or on itself, now the M.2 is following the sata standard, however, it is capable of half a 1GB/s. However, in disk mark 5 I do get the sequential read and write of 500MB and 370MB. The confusing thing is also I do manage to get the speed, to begin with and then they drop down to about 100MB. What am I missing? Is there cache on the storage that gives the initial speed hence the slow down when it fills up or? Can a latency increase of up to a second cause the file transfer to stay low? I can not find the bottleneck please help.

System Specification:

- 8 gen i5-8400

- Asus 1050ti

- WD 240GB m.2 sata SSD

- Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming (Ref 1)

- 8GB Vengence Ram

- Corsair VS450 Power Supply

Build Posted on PC Part Picker

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/r4YTwP

Disk Speed Test.PNG

File Transfer.PNG

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

There are cheats used by the manufacturer. One of those is it to use a small part of the flash as "SLC" to get faster write speed in benchmarks. Other problem is on cheap drives that they getting slower if the drive fill up.

Also keep in mind that you are doing a read and write at the same time. If your partition is right and you use ahci then the drive is just this slow.

Are there any ways to get around the SLC, saying SLC is the first I have heard of it. What would my options be? If I bought another M.2 what should I do to avoid this ditch again?

My SSD is actually really new and has tons of storage left. Also, this doesn't explain the temporary high speed as advertised? 

Appreciate your help!

4 minutes ago, Danni said:

Are there any ways to get around the SLC, saying SLC is the first I have heard of it. What would my options be? If I bought another M.2 what should I do to avoid this ditch again?

My SSD is actually really new and has tons of storage left. Also, this doesn't explain the temporary high speed as advertised? 

Appreciate your help!

SLC means single-level cell, which means that it stores one bit per cell. It's an earlier technology, before MLC and TLC, but it can be much faster and more durable. I guess it does work as a cache.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, thegreengamers said:

SLC means single-level cell, which means that it stores one bit per cell. It's an earlier technology, before MLC and TLC, but it can be much faster and more durable. I guess it does work as a cache.

I thought that might be the case, so what would I need to do to get around this? How can I avoid this cheat when on the market because it did advertise the speeds of up to half a GB?

3 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

For Samsung SSD you can a just the size of the cache or tell the software to buffer in you RAM. 

Sadly you nealy never see that the product delivers what the manufacturer advertise.

If you realy need fast SSDs check meaningful reviews first or run your slow SSD in Raid 0.

They use cheap MCL, TLC which store many bits per cell but are slower. To compensate this they tell the controller to treat some MLC/TCL cells as SLC to get faster writes and clean this area after the file transfer is completed.

Epensiv drives use dedicated chips (flash, ram) for this task.

Look like I will need to invest in a Samsung SSD, is there any other brands which are known to give what they advertise? As I have seen some of the m.2 SSD prices to be very high. Running it in Raid 0 is a good call, although there isn't a performance increase until RAID 1 isn't there?

Appreciate the help.

8 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

this is the little trick

Just checking out Samsungs 960 evo m.2 NVME. Have you seen if the performance it gives is close to what it advertises with,  Read speed up to 3,200MB/s - write speed up to 1,500MB/s ?

3 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Raid 1 is just a mirror. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

SSD are expensiv based on high demand for flash and expected to get slowley cheaper.

What do you wan't to do with the SSD? high IOPS, quee depth, ...?

if you demand the drive for longer time at full speed you need cooling or it will throtle

Not the best review and dont expect to see 2gB/s in windows file transfer: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-evo-nvme-ssd-review,4802-2.html

Perfect, thank you for your help, I have learnt a lot and appreciate you taking the time to help me with my issue.

39 minutes ago, Danni said:

Just checking out Samsungs 960 evo m.2 NVME. Have you seen if the performance it gives is close to what it advertises with,  Read speed up to 3,200MB/s - write speed up to 1,500MB/s ?

Yes, is exactly the speeds I get with mine... however, other than benchmarks (and things like simple file scans) you never see those speeds since the drive is not the bottleneck for most applications. Also with network transfers it doesn't matter at all since the max speed on a standard Gb connection is only like 120MB/s, not to mention that the speed of the other drive you are transferring to/from will also be a bottleneck unless both are high speed NVME drives. (transferring files from my SATA SSD to my NVME M.2 only me ~500+MB/s speeds because the SATA drive is the bottleneck.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.